Coming to New York...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
in about three weeks and I could use some recomendations...

I would like to visit an Apple Store whilst there and wondered which is the most impressive?

I am thinking of buying a new camera (Canon 20D), so need somewhere that they are likely to be in stock and cheap.

Ice Skating: Rockerfeller Plaza or Central Park?

Any travel/shopping advice greatfully received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarathustra

in about three weeks and I could use some recomendations...

I would like to visit an Apple Store whilst there and wondered which is the most impressive?

Go to the NYC SoHo Store - it's kind of the flagship store. I haven't been there yet, but people say it's amazing...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

I haven't been there yet, but people say it's amazing...

It is amazing- It's huge; I think the building used to be a post office. But I would try to go on a weekday. SoHo is a zoo on the weekend.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

SoHo is a zoo on the weekend.

Kinda the effect I was looking for in a trip to New York I guess...but for serious shopping perhaps the weekday option would be better.

I'll have a look at the Adorama site...check if they sell without tax for exports

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont think i've ever skated at rockefeller, but wallman (spelling?) rink is good. see the sites. if you need a drinking buddy, shoot thuh Freak a PM. i lives uptown.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Gotta go with Rockefeller in my opinion. Also might want to check out B&H Photo, google them their info will come up. The apple store in Soho is excellent, but the advice to avoid on weekends is accurate. Soho is worse the middle american hell on the weekends. Where are you staying?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Rockefeller Center is nice -- its a small rink, there are a lot of amateurs (which I think is good -- you don't get mowed down) -- the setting and cultural iconography associated with the place is also well worth it...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I'll be staying at the Milford Plaza...(allegedly 5 mins walk from Times Square ish)

I have no idea what its like, just somewhere I got a decent deal. (I would have tried hostels but my wife was not at all keen). Anyway, I'm not in the city for long so don't expect to spend too much time in their rooms.

I have seen B&H's site they do look like an extensive store...I guess I could get whatever I need. What do you think the chances are of getting purchases without tax for export...easy to do in London, what about New York?

I have also spoken to a sales rep from 42Photo. He gave me a different price for the camera that I wanted and explained I needed a different Euro version (for charging it) no one else had mentioned that yet.. ..anyone any experience of the company?

The skating at Rockerfeller looks great, I think I'll probably go there for the ambiance...but I do like to get up some speed so I can see me being thrown off if its too small.

Quote:

if you need a drinking buddy

thuh Freak thanks so much for the invite, that would be cool but I think my wife will consider herself my 'drinking buddy' for this trip, maybe another time when I'm on my own
  • Reply 9 of 13
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Rockefeller Center is nice -- its a small rink, there are a lot of amateurs (which I think is good -- you don't get mowed down) -- the setting and cultural iconography associated with the place is also well worth it...

It seemed rather expensive to me...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Milford Plaza's a nice, inexpensive place that's right in the theater district. If I remember, the rooms are pretty small, but they're also 1/2 to 1/3rd the price of the Millenium or the Marriot Marquis (also in Times Square) Any cheaper in NYC and you are in a real dump.

For Electronics, you might also try J & R in lower Manhattan. I think if you ship out of state, they don't charge tax, but don't quote me.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I've had good experiences with J&R, even bought my first mac there. Anyway, what kind of things are you looking to do in the city? Might be able to make a recommendation or two.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I've had good experiences with J&R, even bought my first mac there. Anyway, what kind of things are you looking to do in the city? Might be able to make a recommendation or two.

JandR is run by a bunch of schmucks....especially the people who work the Apple Store on 4 there.

BandH Photo is the photo mecca and worth a trip just to see their insane store where all the merchandise bought travels overhead on conveyors.

Ice skating. I prefer Wollman Rink. I think it's more scenic. It's expensive but still cheaper than Rockefeller Center and at Rockefeller Center the sessions are very short and the lines very long. I also think the tree is gone at this time reducing its ambience. Going to Wollman Rink also allows you to take a stroll through Central Park which is absolutely gorgeous and a must see, especially with snow on the ground. The concession prices at Wollman Rink are much better than Rockefeller as well. The only downside to Wollman Rink is dealing with all the TRUMP signs EVERYWHERE. He's even on the frickin water they sell. And they have a Trump merchandise stand in the warming area.

The new FAO schwartz is right by Wollman Rink. It's pretty cool to walk through once. Still not what the original was back in the day but much better than recent years when they were struggling.