Identifying latest generation g5's

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm planning on getting a used dual G5 2x2. Can someone show me how to identify the lastest generation and revision?

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick12322

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a used dual G5 2x2. Can someone show me how to identify the lastest generation and revision?

Thanks,

Rick

I dont think theres a set way to say it, but one example would be :

Dual 2.0 Rev B
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Jeez - the poster is clearly new to the Mac world, and all he's asking is how to tell that it's a RevB.

Well, how do you? Is it printed on the case? Do you fire up OSX and go into "About this Mac"? Where exactly do you find this information?

I'd answer myself but I don't know the answer.

David
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

Jeez - the poster is clearly new to the Mac world, and all he's asking is how to tell that it's a RevB.

Well, how do you? Is it printed on the case? Do you fire up OSX and go into "About this Mac"? Where exactly do you find this information?

I'd answer myself but I don't know the answer.

David

i thought he was asking how to refer to it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Hey guys,

I just want to make sure that when i buy one i get the latest and greatest. So what your saying is the Rev B is the latest generation of G5's? Would "Rev B" show up at the end of the serial number? Where would i find this identification?

BTW, I have a G4 dual 1 ghz, and have been a Mac user since the days of the Mac SE. But I'm still using OS9.

Thanks,

Rick
  • Reply 5 of 7
    New 2x2.0 are model # M9455LL/A

Though it doesn't make any real-world difference, except maybe the SuperDrive.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Rev A, B, C, etc refers to the introduction of new models and is an unoffical symbol.

Rev A of the PowerMacs was:

$1,999: Single 1.6GHz G5, 800MHz Bus, SuperDrive, 3 PCI, 80GB S-ATA HD

$2,399: Single 1.8GHz G5, 900MHz Bus, SuperDrive, 3 PCI-X, 160GB S-ATA HD

$2,999: Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GHz Bus, SuperDrive, 3 PCI-X, 160GB S-ATA HD

They later switched the single 1.8 GHz to a dual 1.8 GHz.

The new PowerMac offers Dual 1.8GHz G5s, 900MHz Frontside Bus, 512MB DDR400 SDRAM, Superdrive, and NVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. The new PowerMac G5 product line:

Rev B was:

Dual 1.8GHz, 256MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, 8x SuperDrive - $1999

Dual 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, 8x SuperDrive - $2499

Dual 2.5GHz, 512MB RAM, ATI RADEON 9600 XT, 8x SuperDrive - $2999

They later added a stripped down 1.8 GHz box as:

PowerMac 1.8GHz (Single Processor)

256MB RAM

80GB HD

GeForce FX 5200

SuperDrive

$1499

No one knows when Rev C will come out as it likely depends on faster chips from IBM. WWDC is a reasonable assumption for top speeds of 2.8-3 GHz with the possible introduction of PCI Express and DDR-3 memory.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

New 2x2.0 are model # M9455LL/A

Though it doesn't make any real-world difference, except maybe the SuperDrive.

thanks, that's exactely what I needed to know.

Rick