Please help me

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all

I really don't know much about computers at all. When you buy a Mac computer, do you buy it initially with loads of memory or do you have to buy the extra memoryon top of it to take it up to 4 or 6 Gb?

Regards, Chris.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Generally, as with all computer makers but perhaps especially Apple, you are better off getting the extra RAM from a 3rd party vendor for far, far less money.

Buy with least amount of RAM but DO get more RAM at time of purchase from the other vendor. You won't actually want to use less than 512 or 768.

And the maximiums vary for each Mac too. Which are you thinking of?

Ease of installation varies. Mac mini being technically non-user serviceable, but the rest get easier to install yourself as you go from iBook up to G5 tower.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for your quick reply. I'm not really too sure exactly what I want yet. Basically, I'm looking around for the best computer for Music production and I've been told my main concern is with RAM. I don't want to overspend but money shouldn't be an object within reason if neccesary. Do you know of some good other vendors you can buy RAM from please? Also, why do I need to buy the RAM from the other vendor at the time of purchase please? Is it because it needs to be installed straight away?

Regards, Chris.

Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Generally, as with all computer makers but perhaps especially Apple, you are better off getting the extra RAM from a 3rd party vendor for far, far less money.

Buy with least amount of RAM but DO get more RAM at time of purchase from the other vendor. You won't actually want to use less than 512 or 768.

And the maximiums vary for each Mac too. Which are you thinking of?

Ease of installation varies. Mac mini being technically non-user serviceable, but the rest get easier to install yourself as you go from iBook up to G5 tower.

• Reply 4 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chockydavid1983

Also, why do I need to buy the RAM from the other vendor at the time of purchase please? Is it because it needs to be installed straight away?

Regards, Chris.

I just meant that if your work is going to demand that extra RAM as soon as you setup the Mac and start using it, better to order the RAM at the same time or sooner, so you aren't twiddling your thumbs using only the stock 256MB for the duration.

Buying the least amount of RAM from Apple generally is the way to go. You can save multiple hundreds of dollars that way.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    OK, thank you very much. Do you have any suggesions on where the best places are to buy RAM seperately in terms of price please?

Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I just meant that if your work is going to demand that extra RAM as soon as you setup the Mac and start using it, better to order the RAM at the same time or sooner, so you aren't twiddling your thumbs using only the stock 256MB for the duration.

Buying the least amount of RAM from Apple generally is the way to go. You can save multiple hundreds of dollars that way.