Mac Mini & Satellite TV

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all, this is my first posting so forgive me if this topic has been covered.

I am awaiting delivery of my Mac Mini and am wondering if someone can recommend a way of recording TV from a Sky digital satellite receiver (UK based) on to the Mac and then onto DVD?

I have heard of MyTV from Hauppauge and eyeTV from Elgato, but both of these only seem to be USB and not USB2, which I have heard will affect the quality of the playback.

Any help is appreciated and thank you.

Regards

SimonC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Hi there,

got the same problem, I'm currently using a pci dvb-s card to record from satellite with my pc, and it will stay that way.

Last time I checked, there were no USB2.0 receivers on the market, not even for pcs.

David
  • Reply 2 of 16
    David

Thanks for the post. There are solutions for PCs:

Pinnacle PCTV USB2 is an affordable, external TV tuner/personal video recorder (PVR) that plugs into the Hi-Speed USB port of your computer. It offers easy, one-button recording and CD/DVD burning. Perfect for mobile users, it is small and compact, and draws power from the Hi-Speed USB port, therefore eliminating the need for a separate power supply.

Go to:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...23&Langue_ID=7

Hauppauge also do a USB2 version of their WinTV. Go to:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...a_pvrusb2.html

Regards

Simon
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Hi!

Seems they have been introduced since I checked about 9 months ago.

David
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The EyeTV 300 has a firewire port.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The EyeTV 300 has a firewire port.

Ugh, about $300 US dollars... I paid $70 for my Twinhan DVB-S PCI card for my PC.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Well, there is THIS if you want to save $$$ by using a Hauppauge card in your Mac, but installation and know-how are required. The way I justified purchasing my EyeTV 400 was to think I was buying a HDTV tuner and a killer software program. But yea, it is still pricy.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    So, how is the performance of the EyeTV? Any major issues? Expensive, but it looks like a good product.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

So, how is the performance of the EyeTV? Any major issues? Expensive, but it looks like a good product.

"DVB-S, the satellite specification, is used for broadcast DTH delivery all over the USA for both HDTV and SDTV services."

I couldn't tell from the webpage - does the EyeTV 300

work with DirectTv?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Nope, different transmission type. Won't work with any non-FTA DVB-S either (ie. DISH Network)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

EyeTV is a free product that works hand-in-hand with EyeTV hardware and it is an excellent piece of software. Costumer service (if you have a question) is quick too. You can download EyeTV from the Elgato website to get a sense of it. It also synchs up with a website for TV listings and single-click recording.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    We do not have 'regular' FTA DVB-S programming in North America, so I doubt there's an accurate guide. I've been playing with DVB-S for several years as a hobby. There's not much to watch but "the thrill of the hunt" and all that.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Well, I know very little about satellite TV so I can't argue, but you can check for yourself HERE.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    DVB-S is very different in North America compared to Europe (we're way behind!)... this might explain why the EyeTV 300 isn't even listed for sale on the US website.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Can any one tell me were i can get a EYEtv 300 shipped to America??
  • Reply 15 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rise Above

Can any one tell me were i can get a EYEtv 300 shipped to America??

If it doesn't work with Echostar or DirecTv, what are

you going to use it for? One of those really big

dish systems?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    There is plenty of DVB-S FTA that can be received with a 3' dish, just not cable-type programming.