Dell: iPod a Fad

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone seen the following report from MacMinute?

Dell calls iPod a 'fad', dismisses Mac mini

January 17, 2005 - 11:58 EST__ Dell CEO Kevin Rollins says that Apple isn't "in the same league" as Dell, and that he isn't worried about the iPod and Mac mini. "It's interesting the iPod has been out for three years and it's only this past year it's become a raging success. Well those things that become fads rage and then they drop off. When I was growing up there was a product made by Sony called the Sony Walkman--a rage, everyone had to have one," he said. "Well you don't hear about the Walkman anymore. I believe that one product wonders come and go."

Rollins is also not impressed with Apple's Mac mini. "It might take some here and there, but Apple's market share in the global computer business has really shrunk pretty far," he said. "Where they've been making success recently is not in the computer business, but in the iPod music business. So this might be an interesting new product but I'm not really believing this is going to turn the industry upside down."

----------

Is this guy short sighted or what (I wanted to say something else, however, there may be kids lurking in these forums)? Sony is a monster company now compared to Dell. It's not about the iPod, it's about the vision! Rollins will eat those words 5 years from now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

When I was growing up there was a product made by Sony called the Sony Walkman--a rage, everyone had to have one," he said. "Well you don't hear about the Walkman anymore. I believe that one product wonders come and go

It took Sony 16 years to sell 150 miljion walkmans. 16 years!! doesn't seem like a rage to me. This whole iPod thing is just starting to take off.

When you think about it, the iPod is nothing more than a technological improved Walkman , so in a sense the Walkman concept is still going strong.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member

It's a fad yet Dell can't be successful at it themselves!

What are the sales figures for Dell DJ?

It's a fad and Dell wants me to buy THEIR Dell DJ which is just an iPod imitation?

New Sig:

When I was growing up there was a product made by Dell called the Dell DJ --a failure, almost no one had one. Well, you don't hear about the Dell DJ anymore. I believe that crappy products come and go.

• Reply 3 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Another thread on this is already started in GD:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=50051
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What he said.