Any problem never letting my computer sleep?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have the monitor set to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

I have the hard disk set to sleep when possible.

Any problems never letting the computer sleep? Will the HDD still sleep if the computer does not?

I have a web page I want to have accesible for a 5 hour time but if no one accessess it, it shouldn't wake the HDD's. At least, that is my thoughts on how it will work.

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    No problem in leaving your computer on all the time. You may not want the HDD to go to sleep, as having it spin up/down is a source of fatigue, and the OS may write to the HDD at random times.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I never sleep any of my macs, and two of them are five years old. This is not a big deal wear-and-tear wise.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

No problem in leaving your computer on all the time. You may not want the HDD to go to sleep, as having it spin up/down is a source of fatigue, and the OS may write to the HDD at random times.

Exactly. First of all, if a hard drive spins down and up often enough, it may well die sooner. This option exists mainly for notebooks when an extra hour of battery charge is important. A server, whatever its purpose is, should have this option turned off.

Secondly, Mac OS X does periodically use the hard drive, and, I should say, pretty often. Not to mention daily cron jobs, it may relaunch all types of daemons, at least while you are connected to a network. Generally, you either put the computer to sleep for the whole night (so, no web server, sorry) or turn off all energy saving options except putting the monitor to sleep (which is good anyway).