iPod shuffle leaves eMac, iMac G3 users hanging

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer's newly designed iPod shuffle digital music player is not directly compatible with the USB port on some computers, including the company's own line of iMac G3 and eMac computers, AppleInsider has learned.

The issue, which reportedly stems from the width of iPod shuffle, also affects Apple's ADC-based 17-inch Studio Display and certain Xserve configurations.

To charge iPod shuffle on an iMac G3 or eMac computer, users will need an optional accessory to reach the port. Apple is aware of the incompatibility and is quietly suggesting that iMac G3 and eMac owners circumvent the problem by making an additional purchase of an iPod shuffle Dock or a USB extension cable.

Both the aforementioned solutions are available from the company's online store, and both must connect to a high-power USB port to charge. iPod shuffle may also be charged through a USB power adapter or a high-power USB hub.

Users can also connect iPod shuffle to a keyboard's USB ports if the host computer is running Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later, however, iPod shuffle will not charge due to the keyboard's low-power USB ports.

Representatives from Apple's AppleCare customer support group said the issue could occur with any computer, display, or USB hub with recessed or closely spaced USB ports.

"I wish that I was told this when I purchased the shuffle," said Charles, a disappointed eMac owner. He plans to buy an iPod shuffle Dock to solve the issue, but he will have to hold off enjoying his new iPod for quite some time. The Dock is currently backordered 5-7 weeks at Apple's online store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    So... Go to your local Staples/BestBuy/RadioShack/whatever and pick up a $10 USB extension cable. Hardly the end of the world, and hardly worth waiting multiple weeks for a Shuffle dock.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Buying a docking station would seem a bit extreme, just because your iPod Shuffle won't fit in a high powered USB connector. Why no splurge on a USB extension cable for < $5? This would allow you to connect to one of the "tightly" spaced ports as well as locate the iPod to a more convenient location.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I also have a G3 iMac and considered buying a shuffle. From the looks of the USB port on the side and the surrounding area, one might be able to just unplug the keyboard and plug in the shuffle. You wouldn't be able to manipulate iTunes or anything, but at least you'd be able to charge it.

I would agree, however, that the USB extension (or powered USB hub) would be the way to go.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    ara... mis... ftis

first post, both at EXACTLY 2:00

basically stating the same thing.

could only mean one thing.

powerbook G5
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Many USB mem card readers are the same way. I needed an extension cable to use mine on the Dell at work.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    This is such a non-story. Go to your local mom & pop computer store and spend the horrific high price of about $5 or less for a USB extension cable.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 12houripod

ara... mis... ftis

Weird coincidence on the user name, but I can assure you that I'm me and araftis is someone else entirely (or a weird bug in the BB code?)

Quote:

could only mean one thing. powerbook G5

I'd say "I wish," but my last laptop was a lap warmer, and I'm not sure I want another... Using a basic old 1999 vintage G4 Sawtooth. Granted I put a nice dually upgrade card in here, but no G5's for little old me.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    ""I wish that I was told this when I purchased the shuffle," said Charles, a disappointed eMac owner."

WHAT? My 1932 car isn't compatible with my 2005 tires on my other car? What the **** is that?

Give me a break.

I have three Macs and still use all of them. One is a Blue & White G3 350mhz tower with a 6GB hard drive and two (on the back) USB 1.0 ports and 1 FireWire (400) port. Plus an G3 iMac (CRT model A) and a G4 iMac Lamp.

There is NO WAY on earth I would have expected a 2004 or 2005 product that nobody have dreamed about when the G3 Mac was designed, let alone built, to connect it.

By the way. How come my old Pentium won't run Short(long)horn? I'm being ripped off. NOT!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Same problem with USB Keys on some laptops (witnessed it on PC until now, didn't checked on PBs G3...). Nothing new there !
  • Reply 10 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stephane

Same problem with USB Keys on some laptops (witnessed it on PC until now, didn't checked on PBs G3...). Nothing new there !

Just think about all those PowerMac, iMac, and PC tower owners that only have USB ports on the back (or possibly low-power ports on the front).

The only solution is to get some kind of hub, extendor, or the shuffle dock. It should be included.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Such an odd story. Plenty of devices won't plug into certain USB ports because of the shape of the device, the position of the port, or both. I wouldn't describe it as an "incompatibility" problem. It's compatible. The cable is just too short (or nonexistant).

This issue about the power to charge the device seems more significant, but only in that I'm surprised to learn that plugging into the keyboard USB port is "low-power" (and won't charge the shuffle). It seems like the keyboard port might be a nice place to plug in on some Macs.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The issue, which reportedly stems from the width of iPod shuffle, also affects Apple's ADC-based 17-inch Studio Display and certain Xserve configurations.

So, how many Xserve users are using it to control their iPods and huge music collections?

BTW, I'm pissed because I can't plug it into my Beige G3! It just won't fit into the printer OR modem ports.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    A USB extension cable (less than $5) or a powered USB hub would solve this problem. No need to make a big deal out of it.

Of course, Apple could have included a short USB cable in the packaging. At wholesale, such a USB extension cable probably does not cost more than 50c. Many USB card readers come with such an extension cable...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    igiligil Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

AppleInsider has learned.

<SARCASM>Wow! You have learned how to read. Good for you!</SARCASM>
  • Reply 15 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Xserve + iPod Shuffle

I'd be annoyed too, but that's life--the two products aren't "shape compatible." Same goes for some USB thumbdrives. Go down the street and get a cable today

But I do like the Shuffle dock somehow.

I think Apple was warning about this from the beginning--I know I saw some warning on day 1 that the fit might need an extender on some machines. I did not know my eMac was one of the unlucky ones, though!

In any case, I don't think the Shuffle should have been made longer or fatter instead.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by macshark

A USB extension cable (less than $5) or a powered USB hub would solve this problem. No need to make a big deal out of it.

Of course, Apple could have included a short USB cable in the packaging. At wholesale, such a USB extension cable probably does not cost more than 50c. Many USB card readers come with such an extension cable...

many readers do come with the cable, but i think its a waste of money, even at 50c

i got an extension usb cable with the thinnest thumb drive ive ever seen - it has no trouble with side by side ports

its a total waste

this emac guy can have it

(ok ok maybe if you only have ports at the back its easier to have the extension cord all the time but BLEH) they dont even sell printers with cables these days - go to your local store and GET OVER IT

OK :P
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

How long does it take to transfer a gig over USB 1.1?

in the spirit of the neg vibe of this thread, BOO HOO.... get over it... you want faster? get something with USB 2.0. better yet, get a iPod mini or iPod and just use FIREWIRE for chrissakes
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

This issue about the power to charge the device seems more significant, but only in that I'm surprised to learn that plugging into the keyboard USB port is "low-power" (and won't charge the shuffle). It seems like the keyboard port might be a nice place to plug in on some Macs.

I think this information is incorrect. At least, I'd be somewhat surprised if it were really true.

The difference between a "low power" port and a "high power" port is that on all "low power" ports on a hub (your keyboard contains a "low power" aka "bus power" hub, to which both the keyboard itself and the two additional ports are connected) the total power output (in watts) is equal to the single "high power" port to which that hub is connected (minus the miniscule power the hub itself consumes). in==out. A "high power" or "full power" or in some parlances "powered" USB port will come either from your computer's root hub, or from a powered (ie, plugged into the wall via some fashion of wall wart) hub; it uses the wall-plug (or power supply) power to replace the bus power from the upstream port, and gives all downstream ports the full USB spec's worth of power.

Since your hub, your keyboard, and even your mouse all consume minute quantities of power from that single powered USB connection, there should still be about 90% of the wattage available to the iPod Shuffle. That *should* be plenty to trickle-charge.

Now, that having been said, if the iPod shuffle won't charge off anything but a pure high-power hub, that wouldn't be the first such device. I have a Kodak camera which refuses to recognize a connection to any bus-powered port (I've tried three different hubs from different manufacturers and all work fine with the power to the hub turned on, but not with the power to the hub disconnected). The explanation from Kodak was that their camera was designed to require the full power of the USB connection (it didn't charge its battery off USB, of course; USB was basically as just a card reader), and so would not function on a bus-powered hub. IMHO, excellent cover for crappy design, but that's what Kodak claimed was going on. It's possible Apple's put circuitry in there to avoid charging on anything but a full-power USB connection.

It would, however, be silly. I'd expect more from Apple's hardware design.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'd go with a powered hub more than an extension cable. I'm loathe to stick the long, thin dongle onto a computer, unsupported and out in the open, for fear of breaking it with a false move or not paying attention.

I'm not sure what the problem with being "high power" is though, because this thing has to be able to charge from the USB port, running it through a bus-powered hub won't cut it, I don't think, I can imagine trying to engineer it to charge through a "low power" port would mean that the charging takes a lot longer.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

This is such a non-story. Go to your local mom & pop computer store and spend the horrific high price of about $5 or less for a USB extension cable.

Problem solved.

Really. I can't believe this is reported as 'news'.