Mac mini or PowerBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need advise.

I am very close to switching to a Mac (after many years with my PC). However, I am debating between the Mac mini or the PowerBook. For the Mac mini, I am looking at the 1.42Ghz/512MB/SuperDrive/80GB/BT/AirPort/Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Set + a 15/17" LCD monitor from Sony (cos Apple Displays are WAY above my threshold). For the PowerBook, I am looking at the 12-inch/1.33Ghz/512MB/80GB@5400rpm/SuperDrive.

Price wise, the PowerBook is definately more expensive. This will be a permanent switch for me (cos I heard so many great things about Macs)! I don't intend to play games with this machine, and I want this Mac to be my primary computer for years to come. One thing to note is that I ocassionally need to remotely access a/several PC(s) at work.

Ps. I've also thought about the 15-inch/1.5Ghz/512MB 1 SO-DIMM/128MB Graphics/80GB@5400rpm but it's just too expensive for my blood... Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    So what do you really need? Superdrive? Portability? Until you figure out more exact requirements, it's hard to help.

If you don't need to burn DVD's right away, keep in mind you can always get an external Firewire burner that represents the latest DVD standards. If you buy a Superdrive now it won't burn any dual layer DVD's, etc.

iBooks are good too. Mine cost little over 1000EUR with everything except Superdrive. Personally I think it's a good idea to keep laptops cheap, and if you need power, to get a separate desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Portability is a must (cos I travel to/from North America and Asia quite frequently). I usually stay in one place 2-3 months. Anyway, I would love to have a SuperDrive to burn DVDs. I need a Mac that will last me 4-5 years without having to worry about upgradeability. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i bought my powerbook in 2001, im running os x 10.3.7 and it still cuts the mustard. i have a mini on order but will be keeping my powerbook for the forseeable future. get a powerbook.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    If you are going to be doing a lot of travelling, get the PB or an iBook. If the majority of your work will be doone at a desk, consider the mac mini. Another thought comes to mind. Why not get the 12" PB and a separate monitor. That way you can use the machine everywhere. You'd have the conven ience of the mini with the versatility of the eMac/iMac.