Funny mini fan noise

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Every once in a while, it sounds like my mini goes crazy with

the fans (the fans ramp up to maximum speed over a

minute or so, stay there for a few minutes, and then

ramp down).

Anyone else have this, or know how to fix it?

I would be much happier with fans that ran 10% faster

all the time, instead of variable fans that go full

blast once a day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ehhhh..not a techie and havent been around the mini, but i read somewhere on here that there is a component inside the mini that adjusts power consumption and fan activity. i thought i read that if shut down and unplug everything from your mini and let it sit for 20 seconds or so the "unidentified self diagnostic thingymabob" will set the fan and power consumption back to the norm. hope this helps...try it and see if it works...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

ehhhh..not a techie and havent been around the mini, but i read somewhere on here that there is a component inside the mini that adjusts power consumption and fan activity. i thought i read that if shut down and unplug everything from your mini and let it sit for 20 seconds or so the "unidentified self diagnostic thingymabob" will set the fan and power consumption back to the norm. hope this helps...try it and see if it works...

Thanks! I will try that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    if the mac mini is anything like my ibook, i am afraid that behavior is normal and tends to happen after the CPU has been under high load for an extended period of time (say mid-stream during DVD playback on my G3 ibook).

I agree that it is extremely annoying and don't understand why Apple can't better manage the functioning of their computer fans. I am very disappointed to see that the Mac mini might be afflicted with the same problem. So much for 'whisper quiet' (yeah, like 80% of the time, and plane takeoff 'quiet' the other 20%).

Interestingly I haven't noticed this problem on PC laptops. If their fan is on at all, it tends to be very very quiet.