Lovin my mac mini!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
got my mac mini from the apple store in austin today and I'm lovin it!

Short review:

The mini is very small.

Very easy to set up and install software on because you are given the ability to transfer your settings from your old mac through firewire to the mini.

The mini definetly needs more RAM, but otherwise it is rather speedy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    If anyone wants to know anything they can't confirm with the mac mini please ask me and I'll see what i can do!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

If anyone wants to know anything they can't confirm with the mac mini please ask me and I'll see what i can do!

How's iPhoto 5?

Thats what I'm most anxiously waiting for. Mine was "on FedEx truck for delivery" today, but considering we had a major snow storm last night, and tomorrow's sunday I don't think I'll get it until Monday.

Damn.

ahah- just got back from the bar and I'm watching Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back on Comedy Central and they're typing on a 17" studio display. Sweet. I'm buzzin' right now
  • Reply 3 of 9
    with the pictures i already have it is pretty responsive and works well. I don't have a digital camera yet, so I have not imported any pictures yet. Anyone have any recommendations for a digital camera?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    By the way, if you are a student you get a $50 discount at the apple store for the faster model and a $30 discount for the slower one. At least in austin... This is a better discount than the one offered online I believe.

So the total price I got for mine was 594.27 with tax. Sweet deal if you ask me...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Is the Dimm socket a normal sized one, or is it a SODimm?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Is the Dimm socket a normal sized one, or is it a SODimm?

184-pin sized DIMM
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Great. I hear that just listening to an audio CD, the combo drive makes too much noise. However, in DVD playback the drive remains close to silent. Can you confirm?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Great. I hear that just listening to an audio CD, the combo drive makes too much noise. However, in DVD playback the drive remains close to silent. Can you confirm?

just tried it out and yes, playing an audio CD does sound louder than playing a DVD. However, I rarely listen to CDs because I convert them to mp3 right away. Also, I don't find the noise too loud... it's actually quite bearable. If you need complete silence, then this probably wouldn't be something you want to buy. Then again you could always buy an external firewire CD drive to play CDs or even burn DVDs.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

just tried it out and yes, playing an audio CD does sound louder than playing a DVD. However, I rarely listen to CDs because I convert them to mp3 right away. Also, I don't find the noise too loud... it's actually quite bearable. If you need complete silence, then this probably wouldn't be something you want to buy. Then again you could always buy an external firewire CD drive to play CDs or even burn DVDs.

on second thought, the drive is pretty darn loud.