Powerbook goes bling.....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
To add to the neverending list of speculations on the PBG5.

You may think this sounds stupid, but it is realistic however unlikely in the near term.

Apple will want to make a huge bang with this powerbook, and continue its trend of powerbook design and materials use: The Wallstreet was curved and moulded black plastic with rubber, the first G4 had a titanium structure and was so thin everyone went WOW! Even then, I remember people saying they could never fit a G4 in a powerbook, and then Apple emerged with that out of nowhere. Even now, 4 years down the line it is astounding design - I prefer it to the new ones. Then the second design.. no more paint, use Aluminium. Again, light and perhaps marginally cheaper, who knows. Cool none the less.

So the Powerbook G5 - the "mother of all thermal challenges":

An all new Magnesium-based alloy structure. Lighter than Aluminium-alloys, costs are comparable these days, unsurpassed machinability, corrosion resistant yap yap yap... could be a plan. But then, the buzz words these days are still Titanium and Aluminium.... any would do.

But the "piece de resistance", a synthetic diamond heatsink. Diamond conducts heat so well if you rest it on ice it will cut through. And synthetic diamonds are not so expensive to make any more. Though I suppose processing would need to be ramped up a bit. But in the future... there is bling.

And just for the sake of arguement - likely G5 Powerbook specs:

15.2" OLED (or equivalent) display, same rez as now

128mb graphics min. upto 256mb

G5 2ghz min. upto 2.6

DVD+-R/RW 8x drive

Airport Extreme next generation (108mbs or whatever it is)

80gb 5,400rpm HDD, up to 7,200rpm 160gb (not sure whats available)

Firewire 800x2, USB 2.0 x2, DVI, S-Video, Ethernet, Modem (ADSL built in) Backlit keyboard and mousepad (custom "engraving" on mousepad if required)

512 RAM standard, up to 2gb

BT, PCMCIA

Reinstate the builtin laptop stands (Ages old powerbooks had them - v. useful for cooling). Better speakers....

And the best part - massively extended battery due to the display - 8hrs... same as your iPod mini!

Who wouldn't complain? And of course a new awesome design as always.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kubdibore

To add to the neverending list of speculations on the PBG5.

You may think this sounds stupid, but it is realistic however unlikely in the near term.

Apple will want to make a huge bang with this powerbook, and continue its trend of powerbook design and materials use: The Wallstreet was curved and moulded black plastic with rubber, the first G4 had a titanium structure and was so thin everyone went WOW! Even then, I remember people saying they could never fit a G4 in a powerbook, and then Apple emerged with that out of nowhere. Even now, 4 years down the line it is astounding design - I prefer it to the new ones. Then the second design.. no more paint, use Aluminium. Again, light and perhaps marginally cheaper, who knows. Cool none the less.

An all new Magnesium-based alloy structure. Lighter than Aluminium-alloys, costs are comparable these days, unsurpassed machinability, corrosion resistant yap yap yap... could be a plan. But then, the buzz words these days are still Titanium and Aluminium.... any would do.

But the "piece de resistance", a synthetic diamond heatsink. Diamond conducts heat so well if you rest it on ice it will cut through. And synthetic diamonds are not so expensive to make any more. Though I suppose processing would need to be ramped up a bit. But in the future... there is bling.

G5 2ghz min. upto 2.6

DVD+-R/RW 8x drive

Firewire 800x2, USB 2.0 x2, DVI, S-Video, Ethernet, Modem (ADSL built in) Backlit keyboard and mousepad (custom "engraving" on mousepad if required)

BT, PCMCIA

Reinstate the builtin laptop stands (Ages old powerbooks had them - v. useful for cooling). Better speakers....

And the best part - massively extended battery due to the display - 8hrs... same as your iPod mini!

Who wouldn't complain? And of course a new awesome design as always.

WAKE UP WAKE UP (someone get me the cold water). As good a dream as that sounds it's a dream. Hard Drives in laptops don't go much above 100GB, and not a 7200RPM (or do they?). 256MB GPU in a laptop?! Right, i don't think so, 128MB have only been out a year in PowerBooks. How thick would this have to be?!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    1. "The ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 launches today (July 2004), premiering first in the new Dell Inspiron XPS gamer notebook. It's the first mobile GPU with eight pixel pipes, and it has four vertex pipes to better handle geometry and vertex shader processing. It's also the first mobile GPU with a 256-bit-wide memory interface and 256MB of graphics memory." If Dell can put in hardcore 256mb last July why shouldn't Apple WHEN they release the PBG5.

2. Hitachi make a 100gb 5,400rpm and 60gb 7,200rpm for laptops. In the near future it is perfectly feasible they will have higher capacity 7,200 drives as they are already aiming for 10gb on 1" drive..... eitherway, I said "(not sure whats available)"

3. I can't believe that after my whole post about Mg bodies and Diamond heatsinks you complain saying the 256mb graphics card is ridiculous. Interesting..... maybe it just isn't then.

P.S. lets not turn this into a personal thing - just think or search in google before you post.....
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

WAKE UP WAKE UP (someone get me the cold water). As good a dream as that sounds it's a dream. Hard Drives in laptops don't go much above 100GB, and not a 7200RPM (or do they?). 256MB GPU in a laptop?! Right, i don't think so, 128MB have only been out a year in PowerBooks. How thick would this have to be?!

Oh yes they do.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...oductType=9860

Sager is a wholesale maker of laptop that sells its designs to other brand names. That laptop has a X800 mobility with 256MB memory DDR3 on PCI express, RAID, 7200 rpm drives, dual optical bays, and prcessors up to 3.8GHz. Sure, it's not light, but it is a laptop(it is portable), and it rivals Apple's desktops.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    How long have you been out? You know, from the asylum?

2.6 GHz G5 in a laptop? No way.

256MB VRAM in a laptop? No way.

7200 RPM HD in a laptop? Could happen, but doubtful.

OLED in the next powerbook? No way- the technology is immature.

What is this "Airport extreme next generation" standard you speak of?

Custom engraved mousepad? Earth to space cadet, you are running low on oxygen... what was the last machine Apple shipped with a mousepad????

PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the next powerbook will sport a nice G4 and a pathetic FSB.

Remember, Apple doesn't make ugly brick laptops but nice looking laptops.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

1. "The ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 launches today (July 2004), premiering first in the new Dell Inspiron XPS gamer notebook. It's the first mobile GPU with eight pixel pipes, and it has four vertex pipes to better handle geometry and vertex shader processing. It's also the first mobile GPU with a 256-bit-wide memory interface and 256MB of graphics memory." If Dell can put in hardcore 256mb last July why shouldn't Apple WHEN they release the PBG5.

2. Hitachi make a 100gb 5,400rpm and 60gb 7,200rpm for laptops. In the near future it is perfectly feasible they will have higher capacity 7,200 drives as they are already aiming for 10gb on 1" drive..... eitherway, I said "(not sure whats available)"

3. I can't believe that after my whole post about Mg bodies and Diamond heatsinks you complain saying the 256mb graphics card is ridiculous. Interesting..... maybe it just isn't then.

P.S. lets not turn this into a personal thing - just think or search in google before you post.....

I don't want this to be personal either. Apple never implement new technology particularly early. I don't see the NEXt powerbook with these technologies. I could be wrong, but I don't see any of it happening any time soon.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

You sound a bit overheated yourself - or rather your fantasy

Quote:

An all new Magnesium-based alloy structure.

If I am not completely wrong, the structure is Mg-alloy and has been for quite some time. The outer surface is Al.

Quote:

But the "piece de resistance", a synthetic diamond heatsink. Diamond conducts heat so well if you rest it on ice it will cut through.

So it does. It might be able to remove the heat from the CPU surface to - where? The problem is not moving the heat away from the core, but to get it out of the machine. That's why the towers have like 8 fans and the iMac is 2" thick with a rather huge heatsink.

Apple would need to have fans constantly blowing in a Powerbook, and I am quite sure users would hate them for this.

Quote:

Yes, this is what I fear too. Even more likely: plain old TFT with the same resolution as now.

Quote:

G5 2ghz min. upto 2.6

cooled by the radiator of a truck, I guess?

Quote:

Forget it. The CPU would suck any battery dry in no time, not to mention what 256MB Video-RAM, a high-powered GPU and 2GB RAM would do. And the constantly running fans...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Oh yes they do.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/...roductType=9860

Sager is a wholesale maker of laptop that sells its designs to other brand names. That laptop has a X800 mobility with 256MB memory DDR3 on PCI express, RAID, 7200 rpm drives, dual optical bays, and prcessors up to 3.8GHz. Sure, it's not light, but it is a laptop(it is portable), and it rivals Apple's desktops.

I'm not denying the technology, but Apple's implementation of it in the next PowerBook.

Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Forget it. The CPU would suck any battery dry in no time, not to mention what 256MB Video-RAM, a high-powered GPU and 2GB RAM would do. And the constantly running fans...

Finally someone with some sense
  • Reply 8 of 22
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Oh yes they do.

Bet they burn up pretty quick too - I've seen this in Dells and HP/Compaqs also - they forget about extensive QA when designing these things. I guess they figure unless you buy their extended warranty (yeah right, on a $699 piece-o-crap desktop) you are out of luck and will probably wind up replacing it with a new model.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Hehe,

1. I never metioned it was the next powerbook revision - just PBG5 speculation

2. Yep, meant trackpad not mouse pad - and synaptics make backlit trackpads that can have logos that light up in them (corporate logos etc.) That was a more fanciful idea, but the backlight could be more likely.

3. A next generation wireless standard exists - there would be no reason why Apple wouldn't embrace it as they love wireless so much. It is faster than extreme.

4. I didn't know the inside is Mg-alloy - interesting. Maybe they might use that more.... considering the inside is so hot, I'm suprised they're not using an Al-Si alloy.... whatever

5. It is true, once the heat is moved, where do you put it then? But if you can move it to a rear surface faster surely a fan can more efficiently move the heat away.. the processor should stay cooler... My TiBook sounds like a lawn mower in anycase, and the AlBooks burn legs... its all good. Still love 'em.

6. Surely the display is the biggest drain of power at the minute is it not? Thus with an emmisive display as opposed to backlit, this should reduce consumption enormously. Furthermore battery developement in recent times should be able to give the 'book a boost if the iBook can muster 6 (according to Apple) at the moment.

7. I have all faith that Apple will be able to put all this technology into a powerbook.. you'd be naive to think they couldn't
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Hehe,

1. I never metioned it was the next powerbook revision - just PBG5 speculation

2. Yep, meant trackpad not mouse pad - and synaptics make backlit trackpads that can have logos that light up in them (corporate logos etc.) That was a more fanciful idea, but the backlight could be more likely.

3. A next generation wireless standard exists - there would be no reason why Apple wouldn't embrace it as they love wireless so much. It is faster than extreme.

4. I didn't know the inside is Mg-alloy - interesting. Maybe they might use that more.... considering the inside is so hot, I'm suprised they're not using an Al-Si alloy.... whatever

5. It is true, once the heat is moved, where do you put it then? But if you can move it to a rear surface faster surely a fan can more efficiently move the heat away.. the processor should stay cooler... My TiBook sounds like a lawn mower in anycase, and the AlBooks burn legs... its all good. Still love 'em.

6. Surely the display is the biggest drain of power at the minute is it not? Thus with an emmisive display as opposed to backlit, this should reduce consumption enormously. Furthermore battery developement in recent times should be able to give the 'book a boost if the iBook can muster 6 (according to Apple) at the moment.

7. I have all faith that Apple will be able to put all this technology into a powerbook.. you'd be naive to think they couldn't

Apple do surprise us! Are there laws about how hot laptops can get, if they burn legs, nasty!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Apple do surprise us! Are there laws about how hot laptops can get, if they burn legs, nasty!

Pardon me but couldn't you use the back of the screen as a heatsink? or would the heat be too hot? How hot do the chips get?

thanks!

ps:

Happy B'day mac!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

6. Surely the display is the biggest drain of power at the minute is it not?

Depends.

There is a fairly good breakdown of amount of power the various components draw in [1] and this PDF shows that depending on what you do, either the display, the CPU, or maybe even the GPU are the worst power hogs.

This should be no surprise, because if it would draw only moderate amounts of power, we would not need such elaborate cooling devices for the CPU.

[1] http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~mahesri/cl...t_cs497yyz.pdf
  • Reply 13 of 22
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Oh yes they do.

That so-called "laptop" is 2 inches thick and weighs 12.5 lbs. My old MacPortable was portable too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to bring that form factor back to life. This product makes little sense to me.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

That so-called "laptop" is 2 inches thick and weighs 12.5 lbs. My old MacPortable was portable too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to bring that form factor back to life. This product makes little sense to me.

The current iMac G5 is about as portable - apart from the keyboard and mouse! - oh and no battery - i'll shut up!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Battery life as tested playing a DVD was 1 hour 6 minutes. Not even enough to play a very short movie. There are a couple reviews [1,2] in case anyone cares to see how hot and noisy it gets. It takes 4 fans to cool it and they are located on the bottom so using it as a laptop is out of the question. Obviously this is meant for two types of people. Hard-core gamers who want to take their systems with them and spec whores.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

G5 2ghz min. upto 2.6

DVD+-R/RW 8x drive

BT, PCMCIA

If we are talking about something that will be released this fall this might be more likely:

15.4" TFT

128MB Radeon 9800 GPU (possibly 256MB CTO)

G5 at 1.8 and 2.0 GHz (low power)

DVD+/- R/RW 8x Superdrive w/ 2X DL Support

Airport Extreme 802.11n and Bluetooth 2.0

80GB and 100GB 5400 RPM

512MB standard

PCMCIA

Now if you're talking late 2006 or early 2007 then maybe we will see OLED displays and BD-RW drives, faster CPU and GPU processors, 1GB RAM standard expandable to 4GB, etc. I can't wait that long though.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

If we are talking about something that will be released this fall this might be more likely:

15.4" TFT

128MB Radeon 9800 GPU (possibly 256MB CTO)

G5 at 1.8 and 2.0 GHz (low power)

DVD+/- R/RW 8x Superdrive w/ 2X DL Support

Airport Extreme 802.11n and Bluetooth 2.0

80GB and 100GB 5400 RPM

512MB standard

PCMCIA

Now if you're talking late 2006 or early 2007 then maybe we will see OLED displays and BD-ROM drives, faster CPU and GPU processors, 1GB RAM standard, etc. I can't wait that long though.

I can't wait till fall. I'm buying soon. I'm just fed up of G5 PowerBook predictions. It's taking over my life. We probably wont see one for ages (MWSF 2006 will be far enough away from now to not make me too pissed). Isn't Dual-Core coming soon to PBs?

Just thought I'd add 500th Post! How Cool
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

I can't wait till fall. I'm buying soon. I'm just fed up of G5 PowerBook predictions. It's taking over my life. We probably wont see one for ages (MWSF 2006 will be far enough away from now to not make me too pissed). Isn't Dual-Core coming soon to PBs?

I'm buying whatever they come out with tomorrow. I don't know if the PowerBooks will ever get a G5 (unless the Digitimes article turns out to be true) and I really don't care that much. The G4 is an excellent processor. Just take a look at some of the Mac mini vs iMac G5 tests. It's just saddled with a slow bus and this will change once Freescale gets their next generation processors out. That is looking like late 2005 and early 2006 for the single and dual core versions though.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

I'm buying whatever they come out with tomorrow. I don't know if the PowerBooks will ever get a G5 (unless the Digitimes article turns out to be true) and I really don't care that much. The G4 is an excellent processor. Just take a look at some of the Mac mini vs iMac G5 tests. It's just saddled with a slow bus and this will change once Freescale gets their next generation processors out. That is looking like late 2005 and early 2006 for the single and dual core versions though.

PowerBooks beat the thin and light laptops and they compete with the high end as well - they're amazing!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Hey let me take a crack at the synthetic diamond case. Disregarding the cost for a moment (synthetic diamonds are used for abrasives; I'm not aware of any large stones being made yet), diamond has 4 planes of cleavage! Imagine if you dropped your laptop - and it sheared cleanly in half!

I like the heat being conducted to the outside. Imagine it melting the polyester of your pants! Melting the plastic top of your desk! Melting the vinyl of your gloves as you attempted to type on its keys! Someone should make a video!