IS 256 meg ram ok on a G4 12" iBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Would the base size ram get me by on a new iBook? I would just be running MS Office, Dreamweaver and Adobe CS. Granted, I don't do anything complicated in any of them nor would this be used every day. Mainly on the go and during vacations.

I have a iMac G5 and that is my first mac. It am not sure if I can compare the two when looking at ram requirements.

I want to order the minimum for now.

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Would the base size ram get me by on a new iBook? I would just be running MS Office, Dreamweaver and Adobe CS. Granted, I don't do anything complicated in any of them nor would this be used every day. Mainly on the go and during vacations.

I have a iMac G5 and that is my first mac. It am not sure if I can compare the two when looking at ram requirements.

Eric

I used mine with the stock 256meg for about a week before the memory I ordered arrived. It was certainly usable for things like email, web surfing, and Dreamweaver. CS, I think, would probably be really slow when working with large images.

Once I upgraded the memory, the main things I noticed were improved launch time, and fewer times when the computer would just be non-responsive. Memory is cheap enough, and upgrading it easy enough in the 12" iBook, that I'd really suggest putting some more in.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Before I upgraded to 768 MB RAM my 12" seemed MUCH MORE slugish.

Since the 12" got 256 mb soldered on to it's motherboard, buying a 512 in addition is worth every penny/cent/øre etc...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I don't think you should use any computer with 256MB of memory. Add a stick of 512 to your ibook, and you will have 768. That would be great, for the applications you use. Also, how much memory does your iMac have? You might want to add some to it too. Www.crucial.com is a great place to buy memory.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My iMac has 1 gig (2 x 512). It runs great. I will up that to 2 gig sometime in the next year once I get the balls to open the case. It runs GREAT so it is hard for me to justify at this time.

I will order an exra 512 for the iBook if I get it from crucial. Much better deal.

Thanks everyone!!

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Hi Eric,

Yep, 1 gig is great for the iMac. I was just concerned you might have 256 in the imac.

I'm sure you'll be surprised just how great the iBook runs with 768MB of memory. I think it will be a great complement to your iMac. Crucial makes great memory, so you can be confident in the quality.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    One more question not related to ram.

Can you run a Blue Tooth mouse, like I have for my iMac, with the iBook (with built-in blue tooth)? That would rock.

Eric
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Yes, you can use a bluetooth mouse with your iBook, if you order the bluetooth module with your iBook. It will work fine!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    256 will suit you fine for basic use right now but in a year you'll need at least 512mb
  • Reply 9 of 19
    does anyone know anything about oempcworld.com's memory? Are they as reliable as crucial? the 512 chip is only $85 at oempcworld.com and it's $142 at crucial (this is for the 12" 1.2ghz iBook).
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by aturner10

does anyone know anything about oempcworld.com's memory? Are they as reliable as crucial? the 512 chip is only $85 at oempcworld.com and it's $142 at crucial (this is for the 12" 1.2ghz iBook).

You can get it for $95.99 at Crucial.

Just select "2700" from the left hand panel, and then buy the 200 pin SODIM that is 512MB. It should be $95.99. They chrage you more, when you use the memory finder thing.

Also, I'm telling you to get the 2700 because the 2100 is $2 more. The 2700 will simply slow to the 2100 speeds.

$95.99 at Crucial with free shipping is not too bad then.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by aturner10

Another source: http://store.yahoo.com/memorysupplie...51pc26200.html

It's a little more expensive, at $97 dollars. But I know it works with the iBook because that's where I bought mine.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    iidxiidx Posts: 2member
    I just upgraded my iBook G4 this past weekend, if you've got a Fry's Electronics near you, they've got 512 on sale for 79.99$ (Name brand) and 79.99-20.00 MIR (59.99$) for off brand sticks of memory. Might wanna check em' out if you want your stuff right then and there. But i'd def go w/ @ leat 512mb, i can tell a world of difference.

DX
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ****UPDATE****

After a while with my powerbook on 256 meg ram I decided to up the ram just to see what the difference would be.

I ordered a 1 gig stick from Crucial and it arrived in two days. Prompt service!!

Things are a lot snappier and programs load way faster. However, as far as usability goes, this computer did really well with prgrams after they opened (as long as I didn't open to many at the same time) with the base 256 ram.

I would think for anyone on a budget that 256 really isn't that bad.

Eric
  • Reply 14 of 19
    aplenub, is it an iBook or a PowerBook?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

aplenub, is it an iBook or a PowerBook?

Just like the title says... 12" iBook.

I continue to love 12" iBook for its great screen and for maximum portability. Nothing beats the 12" when you are on the go.

I am using my Dell to type this response because I am drawing in AutoCad for work and this huge heavy beast sucks more everyday compared to the 12".

Eric
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Eric

It will be a hassle. And while you're at it, leave out the 512 just buy a 512 3rd party stick and bump it up to 768MB. This will be enough, probably for the lifetime of the 'Book.

If you just do not have the cash now, go with stock ram ... be in pain for a months or two and then add a 512 stick!

IMHO even 512 was apin. I had a 12PB that had stock 512 ... through some swapping with a 1.5GB PB I was able to end up with 768 which still make a HUGE diff up from 512. While the other PB with 1.25 (used to be 1.5GB) there is no real difference anymore except if I run a sh*tload of hungry apps!

Go 768!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have had 768 MB in my rev A Ti PowerBook for over 4 years now. Occassionally I've wished for more, but I'm a power user. In comparison, my G5 has 1.5 GB of RAM and I wish it had more too.

I'm glad you had good experiences with 256 though. I'd never used an OS X-era machine with that little memory, but its good to hear that it works as advertised. Assuming you can overlook the VM swapping when switching applications, performance should be OK as long as you're not a super multi-tasker.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    get the least from apple, then go 3rd party, apple ram is too many $$$$$ buy the 1gb ram module, can't remember where i got mine probalby from 1800memory. but i went a year with standard ram, the wait was worth it since ram prices keep falling.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    newegg.com is the best if you're in the States, IMO. Their prices are always low, and they ship fast. I recommend them to people all the time.

That said, so far I'm not minding having just 256mb RAM. However, I don't expect to do many things quickly on my iBook. I just want portability and battery life for less intensive apps. I guess the extra RAM would help on swap hits, but my funds are currently limited.