A few Tiger Questions (as of current version)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a few quick questions as of the current version of Tiger (10.4)

1) all of the Tiger Screenshots show the Spotlight thing where the name for FUS usually goes. Is FUS still in or around the same spot?

2) I thought i remember hearing that you can make Dashboard come on at a hot corder but i haven't seen it since. Is that available?

3) Can you rearrange the order of the icons on the bar at the top right?

4a) If you have a CoreImage ready computer (my PB 12" is...i think) will it slow the the computer at all? I am not sure because i think it uses the video ram but, like i said, I'm not sure.

4b) regardless of our computers compatibility with CoreImage, can you turn it off. (Not that i don't love a bit of eye-candy)

Thanks all!

EDIT: #3 chnaged "top left" to "top right"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Three more!

1)Does Safari still have the "private Browsing" thing?

2) Besides Smart-folders as part of Spotlight, does the Finder have anything new

3) With 10.2-10.3 we saw a huge jump in usability of Disk Images (Notably SparseDisk Images). I do not know much about what you can do with the Terminal but is there any other cool disk image featured yet to be GUI-ified that we see in Tiger?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I believe that FUS is still around there. It can be either an icon or a name. It's just another one of those menubar thinigies up in the right, which means you can change its arrangement with the other icons that go up there, e.g., volume, scripts, display sizes, etc.

Don't know if that's still the case in the latest builds.

Sorry, top left of what? In dashboard? Don't really know.

CoreImage will work on most machines out there from the last several years, but its effects are scaled back if the CPU is carrying the load instead of the GPU. You don't get ripple effects in dashboard for example. Most of the time, it shouldn't slow you down. The most intensive CoreImage-like effects in Keynote 2 for example, aren't avilable if your graphics card can't do the work.

I think Safari still has private browsing.

Only new things I know about are the Spotlight view and smart folders.

No clue on the last point.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Thanks.

I actually meant top right.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

1)Does Safari still have the "private Browsing" thing?

jwink jwink, nudge, nudge...

--B
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

jwink jwink, nudge, nudge...

--B

Well, Why do you think apple made it?

Anyway, it's not for what i think you think i think i want it for (Yes, that actually did make sense). I want it for certain ebanking stuff and sites where i don;t want cookies or, sites i already have cookies but i temporarily don't want to be seen
  • Reply 6 of 22
    igiligil Posts: 23member
    Quote:

3) Can you rearrange the order of the icons on the bar at the top right?

Yes. You hold down the Command-key and drag the icon to its new position.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by iGil

Yes. You hold down the Command-key and drag the icon to its new position.

SWEET!! That has been bugging me for sooooooo long
  • Reply 8 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you can also download Pith Helmet (look at versiontracker.com) and it will give you a LOT of customisation for your browsing experience... ad-blocking, no cookies, gif loops, block sites, bla bla bla

been using it for couple years now.. I hardly remember what an ad looks like
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Apple should integrate .Mac services into the Tiger Server release this summer (if not, certainly include it in later versions). Jobs seems to be headed down this path with the iChat server to be included in Tiger. My ideas: Enterprise Mac: .Mac Integration into Tiger Server
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

SWEET!! That has been bugging me for sooooooo long

And it's been available for about as long.

Try it in Panther.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

sites i already have cookies but i temporarily don't want to be seen

--B
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrclark

Apple should integrate .Mac services into the Tiger Server release this summer (if not, certainly include it in later versions). Jobs seems to be headed down this path with the iChat server to be included in Tiger. My ideas: Enterprise Mac: .Mac Integration into Tiger Server

I think this deserves it's own thread but....do you mean to say like an Enterprise version of something that has .Mac features?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I think this deserves it's own thread but....do you mean to say like an Enterprise version of something that has .Mac features?

Exactly. I think an enterprise version of .Mac would be a key reason for a small business to switch over to OSX Tiger. To get that kind of functionality at an enterprise level requires very expensive software from Veritas, Microsoft (to name a few) and lots of overhead. An Apple solution would be very simple.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What does FUS stand for?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Fast User Swithing

Since i am always behind the IM times, and the thing about typing faster, i tend to use http://www.acronymfinder.com/ all thime
  • Reply 16 of 22
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrclark

Exactly. I think an enterprise version of .Mac would be a key reason for a small business to switch over to OSX Tiger. To get that kind of functionality at an enterprise level requires very expensive software from Veritas, Microsoft (to name a few) and lots of overhead. An Apple solution would be very simple.

I think you should start up a discussion and lets discuss that in there
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I have a question about the Finder and Spotlight.

If I type something in the comments field in Get Info dialog of a file, will I be able to search for keywords in that field using Spotlight and display them?

Example: I receive a lot of PDFs from colleagues. I usually place in the comments field the name of the person who sent it to me. It would be great to be able to pull up all the PDFs from a particular person just by typing in their name in the search box.

Mike

P.S. Yes, I know that it would be easier to just group all the PDFs into folders based on who sent them to me, but I have another type of filing system for my PDFs based on subject.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I think you should start up a discussion and lets discuss that in there

I posted a new topic about an enterprise .mac server edition. I'm very interested in other's ideas.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    if you have a folder with lots of items in it and its on your Dock, and you right click on it and get a listing of all the contents... then scroll down... once you get to the end, it sorta "bounces". Problem is, the bounce is absolutely HORRENDOUS... is there ANY WAY to get rid of it?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Since we are asking questions about Tiger:

Can I turn off the indexing fuctions of Spotlight in Tiger? Although I am very sure that it will be useful for some people, frankly I never have a problem finding things now.