Program Help, DC++

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm a fairly new Apple user, and am trying to set up a P2P program, DC++. I used it regularly on my former computer, and loved it, so I wanted to use it on my Mac as well. I have been told, and have seen online that there is a Mac version available, but I do not know how to install it, because it is fairly complex. If anyone is familiar with this program, or has used it in the past, any info would be great. I have downloaded the program on my computer before, but getting it to work is a completely different issue. I don't know if i'm downloading the correct version or even from the correct site. Anyway, any info would be awesome.

Thanks a lot...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjs6

I'm a fairly new Apple user, and am trying to set up a P2P program, DC++. I used it regularly on my former computer, and loved it, so I wanted to use it on my Mac as well. I have been told, and have seen online that there is a Mac version available, but I do not know how to install it, because it is fairly complex. If anyone is familiar with this program, or has used it in the past, any info would be great. I have downloaded the program on my computer before, but getting it to work is a completely different issue. I don't know if i'm downloading the correct version or even from the correct site. Anyway, any info would be awesome.

Thanks a lot...

cjs6, I'll see if I can help you out. I've been running DC for about 2 years now with both OS X Jaguar and now Panther (10.3.7). The first thing you need to relaize is that it is not called DC++ on the Mac system, simply Direct Connect (or DC). It operates the same way though. Go to the following site: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/984992057/2 and download DC for Mac OS X 1.1.0. It will download a .sit file. Decompress the .sit with Stuffit Exapander (available for free from Allume Systems, Inc.) and it'll place a .dmg file in the same folder you saved the .sit file to. Double-click on the .dmg file to mount the image. Open the image and drage the DC icon into your applications folder. Open the program click connect to connect to a hub. You can also manually enter a hub if you have an address for it. That's it. That's all the installation. You can share and input your profile information by clicking on the "preferences" tab once you're in the program. Happy Downloading! Oh, and P.S. - some hubs REQUIRE you to have a certain amoutn shared before you can connect. Make sure you have enough shared to connect to the hub! Hope that helps a little!