soundforge mac equivalent?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi all,

thinking of making the switch to mac soon, mostly for audio work, but was very disappointed to discover that sony/sonicfoundry soundforge is pc only. this is an excellent application that i've been using for over 5 years and it will be hard to move to another.

it is a digital audio editing package, what are the leading mac equivalents and is anyone able to make direct comparisons?

thanking you!

j

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Don't worry, there are plenty of alternatives. I have been working in studios since 1986, and have seen the Mac platform in every major studio I have been in. What this means is that in the audio software world, you're pretty much covered in the Mac department. You have also arrived at a golden time in digital audio. I was just at MWSF and sat in on Dave Mash's tutorial on Advanced Music production on a Mac. He was talking about what I tell people as well, we live in the age of "the incredible shrinking studio". There is soooo much stuff out there, and get this, most of it really works now!

In response to your question, Peak is widely used for two track editing on the Mac. You should also go to Apple's OS X audio downloads and look around. There are a ton of way cool apps that are either free or cheap. And there are downloadable demos of most of the major apps.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    http://www.i3net.it/Products/dspQuattro

Check out DSP Quattro. It's affordable and gaining in power and features.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ah yes, peak, i used that in my one and only period of time spent in a "mac" studio. that's definitely one to consider.

i know what you mean about the incredible shrinking studio! fantastic what you can do now! i do crave a real mixing desk tho
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Its funny that as a potential switcher than your trying to keep you PC hat on firmly after the switch. The Mac is the premier platform for music production and thus has far more pro and semi-pro packages for this purpose. You will find that the packages you'll find on the Mac platform are far superior to Soundforge or Acid. It will involve you relearning things in a new package but it would be worth it, if your going to switch the first thing you must do is not try to make you new Mac into a PC.

For basic music creation and audio editing your new Mac will come with Garageband as a part of iLife. This is a hugely underestimated peice of software with great hidden depth. Not perfect but it is free.

Alberton Live is another great package that largely works with loops but is expanding its features with every release and it becoming very popular with DJ's. About £100 ish

Next is Reason from propellerheads. This really is the bee knees for music, more effects, sounds, buttons and options than you'll ever need. Probably the biggest selling music package out there. However does not have any audio recording features other than midi. About £250ish

That leaves Logic Express. This is the semi-pro step up from garageband and is the smaller brother of Logic which is Apple's flagship pro recording software. Logic Express will do everything that Soundforge or Acid did and more. Also its a great stepping stone to the full version. About £130ish.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 5 of 7
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

i know what you mean about the incredible shrinking studio! fantastic what you can do now! i do crave a real mixing desk tho

Perhaps a USB mixer like this one would help?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Perhaps a USB mixer like this one would help?

ooooooooh!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    all valid points, but i don't think it's a case of wanting to make the mac into a pc, i just want to minimise the switch-over learning time when i won't be productive. i've been using soundforge for years and can use it quickly and effectively. it will be a shame to have to abandon it though i don't doubt there are other excellent packages available.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGraham

Its funny that as a potential switcher than your trying to keep you PC hat on firmly after the switch. The Mac is the premier platform for music production and thus has far more pro and semi-pro packages for this purpose. You will find that the packages you'll find on the Mac platform are far superior to Soundforge or Acid. It will involve you relearning things in a new package but it would be worth it, if your going to switch the first thing you must do is not try to make you new Mac into a PC.

For basic music creation and audio editing your new Mac will come with Garageband as a part of iLife. This is a hugely underestimated peice of software with great hidden depth. Not perfect but it is free.

Alberton Live is another great package that largely works with loops but is expanding its features with every release and it becoming very popular with DJ's. About £100 ish

Next is Reason from propellerheads. This really is the bee knees for music, more effects, sounds, buttons and options than you'll ever need. Probably the biggest selling music package out there. However does not have any audio recording features other than midi. About £250ish

That leaves Logic Express. This is the semi-pro step up from garageband and is the smaller brother of Logic which is Apple's flagship pro recording software. Logic Express will do everything that Soundforge or Acid did and more. Also its a great stepping stone to the full version. About £130ish.

Hope this helps