noise of the imac G5 ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
sorry for posting this topic i think plenty of equivalent ones were already posted

i just want to know

is it true that it is very noisy so that it is impossible to play without being annoyed by it ?

of course i am not a true gamer, it will take me only 5% of my time

but i use intensive processor softs like photoshop, would it be that noisy ?

can i buy an imac safely ?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Even when my iMac G5 is playing a game, it is not that noisy to me. Maybe that is because my old PC's (including my wife's) is like a plane flying over the house.

I think my iMac is quite.

Eric
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

is it true that it is very noisy so that it is impossible to play without being annoyed by it ?

but i use intensive processor softs like photoshop, would it be that noisy ?

[/B]

I have the 20" iMac, it gets a little noise during games (a little quieter than my previous PC...), but the sound of the game easily drowns it out, it's noticeable as a minute or so of whirring after quitting the game.

I've never heard it apart from during games, and a huge stuffit expansion one time.

Even when it's noisy, it's quieter than an average desktop PC, and it's soon stops and quiets down when the load's off. If you play music while you work you wouldn't notice it, and as I say, it needs sustained full load to make it kick off.

Buy it.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    well, all 20" owners say it's quiet

17" owners don't

is it due to the size / volume of the 20" that allows a better circulation of air ? so less noise ?

i'm interested in a 17" but i'm scared of this purchase
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

well, all 20" owners say it's quiet

17" owners don't

is it due to the size / volume of the 20" that allows a better circulation of air ? so less noise ?

i'm interested in a 17" but i'm scared of this purchase

Ah, OK - I haven't heard the 17", but I would think since it uses the eaxct same set of components in a smaller space it'd have to shift air about a bit faster.

Can I revise my previous "Buy it." to a "Definately aim for the 20" "?

How loud is too loud anyway?

I guess someone with a 17" iMac needs to pitch in.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    A lot of 17" users have been complaining about noisy iMacs, especially in Apple boards.

I would advise you to go with the 20" if you want it so bad or just wait for Rev. B.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    too late, i just ordered my imac 17"
  • Reply 7 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I have a 17" and can't say I have any complaints. When it's going full tilt the sound is noticeable but I tend to find it's nothing that severe. Then again I'm accustomed to just not listening to most noise.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ive got the 17" iMac G5, the noise is ok most of the time its very quiet only when you are playing a very graphic intensive game or heavy Photoshop work the fans pick up a bit, but as soon as you stop the fans go back to being almost silent after about 30secs.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

too late, i just ordered my imac 17"

Great, congrats for your purchase. Don't forget to share your experience (noise levels and other) when it arrives.