Classic

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello, I am doing a bit of preliminary research.

I was just wondering if anyone is using the classic environment, and if so what are they using it for?

Alternately, is anyone still using a machine that can boot both OS X and OS 9, and do they still switch between them? And why?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PosterBoy

Hello, I am doing a bit of preliminary research.

I was just wondering if anyone is using the classic environment, and if so what are they using it for?

Alternately, is anyone still using a machine that can boot both OS X and OS 9, and do they still switch between them? And why?

Thank you for your time.

I use Classic to run one MacOS 9 app for which there is no MacOS X port or adequate alternative. People switch between MacOS X boot and MacOS 9 boots because some MacOS 9 software is incompatible with Classic. There are also some peripherals for which there are no MacOS X drivers and are incompatible with Classic.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    My kids have a ton of games that run on OS9 on my old iMac, otherwise i'd probably not having it running, like on this iBook.

When I really want to get disoriented I boot up in 9, I used to know it so well.

I don't think I can even get it online now.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

My kids have a ton of games that run on OS9 on my old iMac, otherwise i'd probably not having it running, like on this iBook.

When I really want to get disoriented I boot up in 9, I used to know it so well.

I don't think I can even get it online now.

same here with my little iMac CRT.

My daughter loves some games,

which are not available for X, shame.