PowerBook question (expose)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering if you get the backlit keyboards, does expose run default with the keys F8-f10 or are those function keys defaulted to brightness of light of screen/keyboard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    F9 and F10 are dedicated to the keyboard backlight control. Press the fn key and the F9 or F10 key to use expose. F11 works as usual.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jherojhero Posts: 10member
    Ah, ok, so there is like a function key that are mostly found on logitech and windows keyboards?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    is that true? you should need the fn key for the keyboard backlight, not the other way around.

ruins the ease of Expose. (I use 12" pbook, don't know about the backlit keyboards)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    PBs have a key at the lower left corner labeled "fn". Holding down this key converts the function keys to normal function keys. Otherwise we get

F1 - dim the screen

F2 - brighten the screen

F3 - mute

F4 - quieter

F5 - louder sound

F6 - num lock (converts some of the keyboard to a number pad)

F7 - not sure

F8 - keyboard backglight on/off

F9 - dim the keyboard

F10 - brighten the keyboard

F11 - F11

F12 - F12

It also changes the arrow keys into Page up/Page down/home/end.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    You have to hold it down??? :S or just push it?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    You can toggle the Fn key in preferences. I find I like it backwards from the default: I. E. hold down FN for the brightness, volume, etc. and not for regular F key functionality.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, I was about to mention, it can be changed in prefs methinks.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Ah, ok good Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

You can toggle the Fn key in preferences. I find I like it backwards from the default: I. E. hold down FN for the brightness, volume, etc. and not for regular F key functionality.

I have a PB 1.67 and can't seem to do this. Please lemme know how...In Exposé SysPrefs I have All Windows assigned to F10, but the truth of the matter is that it's fn + F10. If I assign the three to F1, F2, F3, the same thing happens--screen brightness and mute have priority.

I'd really actually like to be able to do two things:

1. As mentioned above, be able to make fn + F10 be keyboard brightness and not exposé instead of the other way around and,

2. Be able to toggle app windows again with Command + tilde. Exposé is great but I have found it cumbersome if I only have two or three windows open and I just want to flip back and forth without thinking. Is this possible? I've searched around and haven't found anything.

Thanks for the help as always, guys and gals.

--B
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I have a PB 1.67 and can't seem to do this. Please lemme know how...In Exposé SysPrefs I have All Windows assigned to F10, but the truth of the matter is that it's fn + F10. If I assign the three to F1, F2, F3, the same thing happens--screen brightness and mute have priority.

I'd really actually like to be able to do two things:

1. As mentioned above, be able to make fn + F10 be keyboard brightness and not exposé instead of the other way around and,

2. Be able to toggle app windows again with Command + tilde. Exposé is great but I have found it cumbersome if I only have two or three windows open and I just want to flip back and forth without thinking. Is this possible? I've searched around and haven't found anything.

Thanks for the help as always, guys and gals.

--B

The option to change the function buttons is in the keyboard & mouse preferences. There is a check box in the middle of the window to change them.

The command+tilde shortcut works on my 1.25ghz powerbook. You may want to check the keyboard shortcuts section of the keyboard & mouse preferences. In the keyboard navigation section there should be a rotate windows shortcut. Make sure that the check box next to it is checked and the shortcut is set to command+`
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

The option to change the function buttons is in the keyboard & mouse preferences. There is a check box in the middle of the window to change them.

The command+tilde shortcut works on my 1.25ghz powerbook. You may want to check the keyboard shortcuts section of the keyboard & mouse preferences. In the keyboard navigation section there should be a rotate windows shortcut. Make sure that the check box next to it is checked and the shortcut is set to command+`

Thanks so much!

Two little ticks and my problems are solved. I don't know why I was so stuck on 'toggle' that 'rotate' never even ocurred to me.

Two Panther doubts down, and the rest can wait for another day...

Thanks again.

--B
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    the Fn key makes for a great "show all windows" exposé hotkey