Steve Demos NeXTSTEP 3.0

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In case you haven't seen this...

Here's a video of Steve Jobs demoing NeXTSTEP, circa ~ 1992

http://www.openstep.se/jobs/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Did anyone notice nextstep included Pages (the app)???
  • Reply 2 of 23
    That link is not working right now. I really want to see this. I hope it works later in the day. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Still isn't working. Does anyone have this movie?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    It's zipped on my iDisk's Public folder. "dstranathan"
  • Reply 5 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    OMFG...

Its incredible. Almsot nothing has changed. Some nicer GUI, but the fundamentals are all right here with us, 13+ years later.

Mail app, the Dock, Interface Builder, Address Book, Font Book... all the same.

jesus

I can just see NeXT old timers grin everytime they hear about "cool" MacOS X apps and functions while they know and have used such things sunce a lifetime.

heh
  • Reply 6 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    and to think steve also demoed all this in 1992... on a cube computer without a floppy drive.

steve has finally proven to everyone he was right all along.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    How can I get to your iDisk? I don't have .mac.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    True visionaries are ahead of their time.

It must be frustrating waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    i know it's been posted before, but for comparison's sake, i guess from approximately the same time period, Steve Ballmer "selling" Windows 1.0.

unfortunately, requires windows media player, unless someone can supply a different link...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    by the way, how much you wanna bet the next major revision of the mac os will debut the "concept" of tear-off, floating menus?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Let's hope! Peope were clamoring for these since Apple bought NeXT. Actually they might be a bit weird with the menubar, but who knows. Maybe Services would get a facelift in the process?

Dynamic object links would be nice too.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Let's hope! Peope were clamoring for these since Apple bought NeXT. Actually they might be a bit weird with the menubar, but who knows. Maybe Services would get a facelift in the process?

Dynamic object links would be nice too.

actually, i know exactly how apple would solve this. and apple engineers, i know you read these boards, so feel free to use this. though it would be nice if you private messaged me for a job offer...

mac os x 10.5, named "lion", will debut a new feature, akin to expose', called "attention." the menu bar, as you know it will still be there, but if you find those menus inflexible in their placement or listed items, feel free to tear them off, rearrange them, etc. need them back along the top? use a hot key to make them "stand at attention," where they zip back to their original spot(s), in order, and default items, ready for you to use. want them back where they were? invoke the same hot key to put them more "at ease." and to top it all off, the menu bar "dock" (which is essentially what the menu bar would become at that point) would be hide-able, too.

so you could literally, just like nextstep, turn on your computer, and, if you want, see absolutely NOTHING on your screen. no files on the desktop, no windows, no disks, no menu bars... i'm not saying it's a good thing or bad, but i guarantee you that's steve's ideal desktop.

• Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

mac os x 10.5, named "lion", will debut a new feature, akin to expose', called "attention." the menu bar, as you know it will still be there, but if you find those menus inflexible in their placement or listed items, feel free to tear them off, rearrange them, etc. need them back along the top? use a hot key to make them "stand at attention," where they zip back to their original spot(s), in order, and default items, ready for you to use. want them back where they were? invoke the same hot key to put them more "at ease."

Two words :: Absolutely Brilliant!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

by the way, how much you wanna bet the next major revision of the mac os will debut the "concept" of tear-off, floating menus?

?1,000,000 says they won't

When he was ousted, Apple had Steve in a legal head-lock about Macintosh interface elements; he was not allowed to have a static menu bar and thus had to implement tear-off menus.

Fitt's Law and other HI guidelines all point to fixed menus being easier to use; for example, your muscle memory means you can hit static objects more easily and faster. Being obsessed with user-centric design (but not always getting it right) Apple would never, ever complicate the interface like this.

More likely they get rid of traditional window management altogether.

Edit: in my opinion, the current Apple OS is the NeXT release Avie and Steve always dreamt of. It's an AWESOME interface.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    errr... dont any of you remember the Developer Previews (forget which one, I think I tinkered with DP2 and 3) had Tear Off menus in the menu?

That would be really odd to actually have it back again after 6-7 years.

But sure, I dont see why not.

Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if the underlying code is still in OSX. It would probably just require a small hack (or haxie or something) to enable.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Mac OS X Server 1.0 had tear-off menus, shelves, display postscript, dark NeXT-y platinum, you name it!

Context menus replace this functionality to a fair extent too.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's almost impossible to believe that demonstration was years before OS 9 even.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i know it's been posted before, but for comparison's sake, i guess from approximately the same time period, Steve Ballmer "selling" Windows 1.0.

unfortunately, requires windows media player, unless someone can supply a different link...

You might have had some whistles and bells with NeXT...but we windows guys had Reverse-E!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

You might have had some whistles and bells with NeXT...but we windows guys had Reverse-E!

AND CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Mac OS 9?! Apple hadn't even released System 7.5! Windows 3.1 was released around the same time, and you know what a joke that was relative to the Mac OS.