sharing internet connection not really working

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My brother has a G5 (Dual 1.8 with 2gigs ram) in his recording studio but sadly, no internet access. He doesn;'t even have an Airport card. Since there is no place to connect to the network nearby, i put a base station as close as i could. I was able to geta good connection in hist stufio with my Powerbook.

So what i wanted to do was turn on internet sharing and let him connect to the internet. I took an ordinary patch cable and connected our computers. I thne turned on internet sharing from my airport to the ethernet. His computer got an ip address that appeared to not be router assigned because it was 192.168.2.x as apposed to 192.168.1.x. I figured that was because my computer was assigning the IP.

Anyway, i tired to view a webpage but it didn't work. I tried many pages and all failed to load. So i tried pinging a webpage and that worked without a problem. Teh ping also had a really good speed.

I was then thinking that maybe i needed a crossover cable. Since i didn't have one i decided to try to share the internet over firewire. I set up both computer s to do so and same results. Ping worked but the internet didn't.

Does anybody have any idea why this isn;t working. That computer really needs updates and it is a really hard to drag to a place that the computer can connect.

If it matters, my Powerbook is running 10.3.7 and the G5 is running 10.3.6

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If you really were able to ping a server from your brother's system, the networking stuff is working. Did you ping the server by name or ip address? Does your brother have a proxy server defined in the network preferences?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    i pinged by name and there is no proxy server