AGP video upgrade question...

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, despite the fact that my video card is pretty darned sweet (geforce4 titanium), many upcoming core image effects (and even keynote 2) are not supported. so here's a question...

my mirrored-drive door rig has a single AGPx4 slot. could i put one of the recent supported video cards (which are recommended at 8x) in there and have those effects still be supported? or do i need both the video card and a full 8x slot?

i have heard that a 8x compatible card will scale downward to an even multiplier of slot (8x to 4x or 2x), but i wanted to confirm that...

and finally, if this works, which card would you suggest and where from? i certainly don't think it would be sane to get the bleeding edge radeon, just from a cost/performance/lifespan standpoint... but i don't want anythign less capable than my current card, either.

thanks...

edit: oh, slight addendum, now that apple has obscured or removed the supported video cards for core image, i can't exactly recall which cards they recommend, which is part of the reason for my starting this thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Radeon 9600 and 9800 pros work on your machine. I'm currently running a 9800 pro in a 2x slot. Only had to tape over two of the connectors on the board. No taping will be neccessary with your setup.

NVidia cards may also work... anyone know which ones for sure?

I suggest looking at the info over at xlr8yourmac.com
  • Reply 2 of 2
    You need a card that will work in a 4x slot. Your best options are the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (retail) or the Radeon 9700 128MB (OEM). Their performance is equal and they both support Core Image. If you're using an ADC display, the 9700 has an ADC port, the 9800 doesn't.

edit: Oh yeah, a modified 9600 will work, but I don't think it's much a performance increase over the GeForce4 Ti. It does support Core Image, though.