powerlogix g3 zif pricing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i got an email from powerlogix and they said the projected price of the 800mhz g3 zif processor will be 300 dollars and should be shipping within three weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    An 800 MHz G3 upgrade is too little, too late for my Pismo, I think. If I could upgrade the graphics memory, I would consider it. I might also consider it if it was a G4 upgrade and would give me Altivec and other OS X speed enhancements. But this seems like it's hitting the market 12 -15 months too late.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    well i mean ibooks got g3 800's in em, its basicly putting the ibook g3 in your machine, and you can always overclock , maybe with the right cooling this thing could make it to a ghz
  • Reply 3 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about an 800mhz G3 ZIF for my B&W G3?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It is compatible with it as well. I would love to get one when it comes down to ~250 or less. (Fingers crossed of course)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Cool. But $379 for an 800mhz G3 has to be a pretty high mark-up, right? I mean look at iBook prices.

Yeah I hope it zooms to $250 too, I'll buy.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>An 800 MHz G3 upgrade is too little, too late for my Pismo, I think. If I could upgrade the graphics memory, I would consider it. I might also consider it if it was a G4 upgrade and would give me Altivec and other OS X speed enhancements. But this seems like it's hitting the market 12 -15 months too late.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is one of the most absurd "upgrades" ever put to market. Fran441 has hit the nail on the head. I was expecting a faster than the current 550 G4 upgrade not G3. I want to use my B&W Tower to design, rip and burn iDVD3 projects. iDVD3 won't run on a G3 Mac even if the DVR-105 is inside. I put it inside anticipating the new faster G4 upgrade only to be majorly disappointed to discover that PowerLogix chose an old G3 to build this product. I think they are going to be surprised at how many folks don't buy one because they're not G4.

I am Pi**ed.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    i to was hoping for a faster g4, guess its up to sonnet and xlr8 at this point.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    If it were an 800 MHz G4, then you would surely be complaining about the resulting price!

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Randycat99 ]</p>