Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
it seems it doesn't work properly on some sites for me lately ie. getty images

also it seems like Firefox is just as quick if not quicker

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

well it's quite obvious that apple will be releasing a better safari as part of tiger. go ahead and use firefox if you want--nobody is gonna stop you.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Horrible title. I'd suggest being a bit more forthright about what subject matter your post really entails.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I use Safari 100% unless testing sites for work. Everything else has an element or two of suckiness and non-Appleness I can't seem to deal with.

Yes, I tried browser x...

I have a problem...
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I have a problem...

Yes you have two in fact: you have IE, Netscape, Opera, and Shiira on the list, and you are missing OmniWeb.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

you are missing OmniWeb.

• Reply 6 of 43
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Yes you have two in fact: you have IE, Netscape, Opera, and Shiira on the list, and you are missing OmniWeb.

What do you call the sixth browser down the list?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Horrible title. I'd suggest being a bit more forthright about what subject matter your post really entails.

what's wrong with it? i was going to call it "Is safari Doomed?"

jeez, 2 semi-hostile replies. what purpose did it serve? moderator!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

What do you call the sixth browser down the list?

My bad... just missed it.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I just can't wait until all websites start using standards. I'm as pro mac as they get, but it's sad that I have to think about buying a super cheap-o pc (cheaper than vpc and xp) just to use a few websites that are critical (some online jobs applications, grad school applications, etc).
  • Reply 10 of 43
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I've noticed several sites that used to work with Safari that, after the 10.3.7 update, now do not. Even eBay now has problems. Hoping the next update fixes these.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I use Safari for casual browsing, but when it comes to paying bills I use Firefox, or if I'm in a real rush I still use IE, just so I don't have to deal with the headache. That's a terrible situation. I think Safari is a little behind on flexibility right now when compared to Firefox, but as long as you aren't using IE, you are on the side of standards compliance (in my opinion). AKA the losing side Microsoft will own the internet. Give in.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Safari is a pain in the ass. How do all these Mac browsers not have a pull down address bar? Insanity.. only Firefox that I know of supports this in addition to AutoComplete.. unless I'm completely clueless here?

Firefox throws its fits too... there really isn't a perfect OS X broswer yet.. not like IE is for Windows anywhow. I hope that Firefox 1.1 addresses a lot of these problems.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lewd0006

Safari is a pain in the ass. How do all these Mac browsers not have a pull down address bar? Insanity.. only Firefox that I know of supports this in addition to AutoComplete.. unless I'm completely clueless here?

Firefox throws its fits too... there really isn't a perfect OS X broswer yet.. not like IE is for Windows anywhow. I hope that Firefox 1.1 addresses a lot of these problems.

If you believe that IE is the perfect browser for Windows, then I am afraid that we are just going to have to agree to disagree. With the number of Windows users who are abandoning IE or Firefox and other browsers, it would appear that fewer and fewer people agree with you.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

what's wrong with it? i was going to call it "Is safari Doomed?"

Their point is that Safari's failings are not signs of doom any more than any other browser's failings are.

Ever hear of updates?

So why the "doomed/survive" angle?

Why not "Is Safari due for a major update?" or "Will Apple Address Safari Bugs?"

"Is safari Doomed?" implies "Dave Hyatt Quits Apple, Joins Google"
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Safari is a good browser, and it surely will survive. WIll it be the *best* browser? I don't know. But sure as hell it won't die, choke, get HIV, or otherwise be doomed.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Sorry i didn't bother to read all posts,

but the title itself implies pure

%$&%RFZ/L§T&/R
  • Reply 17 of 43
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I rarely, if ever, run into site compatibility problems these days in Safari.

Speed could be a little zippier, but that's coming.

Anyway, if Apple just fixes a couple of bugs (that ornery lack of undo in text fields, the rollover issue, etc), tries to manage animated gifs from sucking up too much CPU, and sprinkles over with the features advertised in Safari RSS, I'll be pleased as punch.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

that ornery lack of undo in text fields

God, yes.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

If you believe that IE is the perfect browser for Windows, then I am afraid that we are just going to have to agree to disagree. With the number of Windows users who are abandoning IE or Firefox and other browsers, it would appear that fewer and fewer people agree with you.

Oi.. ok, what FIREFOX is to Windows then. What IE ONCE WAS.. argh you people! Sorry, had to do a fresh install on the powerbook today. I'm pissed.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Safari will survive as long as Apple sees strategic value in developing their own browser. Considering Cyberdog, this does not necessarily have to be that long.

I, myself have dropped Safari in favor of FireFox, since FF allows you to install all those nifty extensions that make browsing (and for me, web development) so much more pleasant.