Moving Files To New Mac - Best Method?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm going to get one of the new 12" PowerBooks to replace my iMac, so I'll want to move all my files across. What is the best method to do this? Some that spring to mind are:

1) OS X Setup Assistant

2) Firewire Target Disk Mode

3) Airport Netowrk

3) iPod as firewire disk

The things I'll want transferred include:
  • iPhoto library

• iTunes library

• Safari, Mail etc. settings

• .Mac settings

I'm sure there will be other things I'll want to move, but that's what springs to mind. Also, I don't mind reinstalling some software, as there's not too much I would need to put back on - I could use this as an opportunity to clear out some of the rubbish that's built up over the last 15 months .

So, what would you recommend as the best solution to transfer things across?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    i would just use the setup assisntant. moving tons of data with your iPod is just gonna put some wear on the disk that it doesnt need.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i would just use the setup assisntant. moving tons of data with your iPod is just gonna put some wear on the disk that it doesnt need.

Thanks. I guess this is the easiest way. I'm just concerned that it will transfer loads of rubbish that I don't necessarily want/need. I've read the info on the Apple web site about it, are there any other resources for it?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

Thanks. I guess this is the easiest way. I'm just concerned that it will transfer loads of rubbish that I don't necessarily want/need. I've read the info on the Apple web site about it, are there any other resources for it?

i dont knwo of other sources, but i've jsut made sure everything is backed up to an external drive in case things go bad. i actually have not used setup assistant because i wanted to 'build' each computer from the ground up so i dont have random files all over the place (the G5 doesnt need iStumbler and stuff like that). i just throw everything on an external and selectivley copy everything. if you run a fairly tight ship with file organization, set up assistant would be the best choice. for more experienced people i would check the apple discussion boards.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks .

I guess I'll see what options the set-up assistant gives me, and if that doesn't look to offer what I'm after, I'll build from scratch.

Cheers,

Dave.