Scrolling enabled Apple mouse?

pbpb
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After reading about the new trackpad in today's Powerbook update with the scrolling capabilities, I made a thought about the Apple one-button mouse: could this trackpad evolution indicate a similar evolution for the Apple mouse?

I think it would be easy for Apple to make some part of the mouse press-sensitive (apart the only and one button of course), so that scrolling is achieved when moving the mouse while the sensitive part is depressed. The mouse has already two round plastic parts left and right that could serve as press-sensitive regions. What do you think? Does it make any sense to do that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The difference being that Apple's scroll 'pad' solution is actually ergonomically sound, scroll wheels aren't!

Better solution might be to start working the trackpad into the keyboard!

This seems entirely based on gestura recognition, BTW, and migth be applicable to Apple's other notebooks with a minor hack.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I don't think he's talking about a scroll-wheel. I think he's talking about a button that activates "scroll mode." Sort of how clicking the scroll wheel in Windows allows you to scroll around using the mouse itself.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I don't think he's talking about a scroll-wheel. I think he's talking about a button that activates "scroll mode." Sort of how clicking the scroll wheel in Windows allows you to scroll around using the mouse itself.

Right, only I don't expect Apple to add the click-to-enable-scrolling part as a (scroll-)wheel. I believe they would not change the current desing but they could make click-sensitive some other part of the mouse (like the part where the thumb touches the mouse), or redesign the button to click in both directions, forth for normal clicking as usual and back to activate scroll-mode. This one would be particularly ergonomic with the current mouse design, as you would click with the "roots of your fingers" (sorry, I cannot describe better this part of the hand just where the fingers "grow" from it).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Right, only I don't expect Apple to add the click-to-enable-scrolling part as a (scroll-)wheel. I believe they would not change the current desing but they could make click-sensitive some other part of the mouse (like the part where the thumb touches the mouse), or redesign the button to click in both directions, forth for normal clicking as usual and back to activate scroll-mode. This one would be particularly ergonomic with the current mouse design, as you would click with the "roots of your fingers" (sorry, I cannot describe better this part of the hand just where the fingers "grow" from it).

Apple should just make a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel, I can't stand the Apple mouse as is. Needlessly archaic, expecially when their operating system supports two mouse buttons...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    having a one button mouse forces developers to design more elegant software.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Apple filed a patent for a scrolling mechanism which is integrated under the mouse?s surface back in March of 2004. It looks to basically be a touch sensitive surface much like a narrow touch pad built into the mouse where the wheel should be. Who knows when if ever we will see it, but they are definitely thinking about it.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...%22.AS.&OS=AN/