Performa 5200CD

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a 75mhz performa, and i wanna run SETI@home on it. I have a wireless 802.11b network at my house, and can also run regular cat5 to my network.

How do I get this computer on the network, 1, and 2, it has system 7.5.5 on it now, can I buy mac os 9 or do I have to first get 8 then 9?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Recontech

I have a 75mhz performa, and i wanna run SETI@home on it. I have a wireless 802.11b network at my house, and can also run regular cat5 to my network.

How do I get this computer on the network, 1, and 2, it has system 7.5.5 on it now, can I buy mac os 9 or do I have to first get 8 then 9?

The performa can take a network card - I gave mine one which I bought for a fiver from a local user group. It's a proprietary card IIRC - not even NuBus or some standard, but specific to the 5200. That'll give it 10baseT ethernet, anyhow.

Alternatively, get a PC and use it as a router. Hook the Mac up to the PC from the Mac's modem port to the PC's com port. You'll need a custom cable so prepare for soldering. Then run dial-in server on the PC, and run a proxy server like WinGate. Tell the Mac to connect via a modem but give no phone number. That'll get you online. (I have done this long ago. There is probably better software to do it now.)

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 6
    As for OS, get one with Open Transport - I forget the earliest. I think 8.1 will do (and I don't recommend you go later than that). 7.5 will connect to the net, but to do so is a lot harder than some later OS versions.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks for the replies! I think i'll look around for a network card of some sort. And as far as the OS, I'll have to find a place that sells a newer version...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Recontech

Thanks for the replies! I think i'll look around for a network card of some sort. And as far as the OS, I'll have to find a place that sells a newer version...

8.1 may well be free. Apple have some old versions in their archives.

Amorya
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I'm still trying to find a network card specific to the 5200CD if anyone has any suggestions, please email at [email protected]

thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you're nuts

anyway... for the sake of insanity... check eBay

free MacOS is up to 7.5.5

Anything later has to be found elsewhere (like in a dusty depot somewhere..)

I had the Performa 5200CD (btw, almost universally voted the WORST Mac EVER created) and ran it all the way with OS 9.2.1 until I finally managed to sell it for a used lollipop.

*shiver*

god I hated that Mac...