Apple Keyboards + Dvorak?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wanting to get a Mac mini. this involves buying a new keyboard (my current one's PS/2). However, I use Dvorak... Is it possible to easily rearrange the keys on the standard wired keyboard currently sold by Apple? By this, I mean: is it easy to remove, move and replace keys, and will they still be all at the correct angles / depths?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Isn't the point of dvorak to increase typing speed?

Wouldn't looking at the keys decrease typing speed?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    He he he he

Theres nothing like watching someone try to use your keyboard when the keycaps are normal, but the mapping is dvorak

Its a bit tricky if you arent a touch typist.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    On the whole, I touch-type Dvorak. However, every so often I glance at the keys to make sure that I've got my hands in the right position before I start. I generally find it confusing to type dvorak on a qwerty keyboard.

I find that Dvorak tends to confuse most people. At one point, someone tried touch-typing Qwerty on my PowerBook - that has the proper dvorak layout, plus the mapping. They looked up, saw gobbldy-gook on the screen, deleted it, then started counting out the keys to the letters in qwerty... :S
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

On the whole, I touch-type Dvorak. However, every so often I glance at the keys to make sure that I've got my hands in the right position before I start.

That's why keyboards (at least my iBook's) have the two little protrusions underneath where your both index fingers should be.

mmmpie, I'll up the ante... watching someone try to use your keyboard which is set on Dvorak to edit a text file in vim
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

mmmpie, I'll up the ante... watching someone try to use your keyboard which is set on Dvorak to edit a text file in vim

That's the only way I know how to use it so I have the reverse problem and basically can't use vi unless the keyboard is Dvorak. Other people trying to use my Mac get the added task of translation as I have the Mac switched to French to practice my vocab (thank god for fast-user-switching for guest users).

Re: using Dvorak with Macs, it's incredibly easy to select two different keyboard layouts and switch between them, either with the the little flag in the menu bar or the Alt-Command-Space shortcut. Handy when you need to peck something out with one hand while on the phone etc.

(Actually that's surprisingly easy to do with Linux and XP as well, I assume they are catering for multilingual/multi-script users rather than Dvorak weirdos)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Re: using Dvorak with Macs, it's incredibly easy to select two different keyboard layouts and switch between them, either with the the little flag in the menu bar or the Alt-Command-Space shortcut. Handy when you need to peck something out with one hand while on the phone etc.

There's also this shortcut command-space. The Applecare people say it should only work with "World Script enabled" applications (WTF? Isn't this supposed to be the operating system's business?) like TextEdit, but not all of the support guys got it to work on their own computers and neither do I. They say the last ditch thing to do is to "remove com.apple.systempreferences.plist" but I don't even know how to do that, and if it's safe or not. They also mentioned having to do this on a new user account (?). This is by far the ugliest mess I have seen on OS X so far.
    Quote:

(Actually that's surprisingly easy to do with Linux and XP as well, I assume they are catering for multilingual/multi-script users rather than Dvorak weirdos)

I don't use Linux but I know you can setup whole keymaps any way you like on it.. it has got to be nice when you can switch buttons like esc, caps lock and ctrl around whatever way you like.

On Windows I think keyb layouts work better than on the Mac. Windows remembers what keyboard layout was set for every program, so you can have a browser window open that uses US layout for writing on forums, a chat window with a native layout, etc. and you just switch between windows and get the correct keyboard. Also, the keyboard shortcuts for changing the layout are good. You get to assign specific number for specific layout, IIRC the command to switch is ctrl-shift-#. You don't have to go through all layouts to get the one you want. This could prove a problem for inputting japanese, for instance. You need a lot of layouts.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

That's the only way I know how to use it so I have the reverse problem and basically can't use vi unless the keyboard is Dvorak.

Did I mention my friends can't use vi even on QWERTY?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I believe a friend of mine rearranged his Apple keyboard for Dvorak. I rearranged my non-Apple keyboard, and it's a bit funky because the letters from the top row have a different curvature/height than the ones from the bottom row, so it's a bit bumpy. The apple one I think works better.

I generally touch-type Dvorak and QWERTY. Going back and forth frequently can be confusing, and I tend to look at the QWERTY keyboard occasionally, but overall it's touch-typing in both for me.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    When I was learning dvorak I rearranged my keys (on both my apple pro keyboard and laptop keyboard-worked great), but as I got more proficient I started to force myself re-learn without the keycaps as a guide. Now I am really proficient and am able to switch between qwerty and dvorak on ANY keyboard. I also associate the qwerty letters with their dvorak counterparts, so it is really easy to peck when I want to as well.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    After getting my mac mini, with Apple keyboard, I can confirm that they can easily be rearranged to Dvorak layout, with no unexpected bumps appearing. It's a really nice keyboard...