PowerBook Shipping Times

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered my new 17" PB, AirPort Extreme Base, and Dr Bott OMNI antenna online and it gave me 2-4 weeks for the AirPort base, and 7-10 weeks for the PB. (I ordered the day after the keynote speech). Has anyone called Apple and gotten any specific date/date ranges of when these products are going to ship? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mid march for UK
  • Reply 2 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    SmallDog told me four weeks to we wont know until Apple ships them
  • Reply 3 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    My dealer told me the end of next week, we'll see.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Best estimate I'm seeing is end of Jan for the 12" and mid-Feb for the 17".
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    A friend who works with Apple has said end of Feb at the earliest on the 17's but who knows...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Ouch! Glad I got the footlong!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    whoa. deja vu.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I just got a email from sapei.corp.apple.com. Something shipped today 01/20/03 from Elk Grove. I can't tell from the email if it's the Airport Extreme or the mini-Book. The order status site shows them both shipping on or before 2/13/03. Anyone else get a similar message? Must be the AE...

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: fantastic happy dinner man ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 17
    MacNN has some reports

<a href="http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=18181"; target="_blank"> 17" PowerBook shipment delays? </a>

MacNN reader John Byrne reports that his early 17" Aluminum PowerBook order from the Apple Store shows a ship date of March 21, 2003, despite placing an eraly order: "I ordered my 17" PowerBook the minute you could order (I actually held on the phone for a few minutes while they waited to get the green light)." New orders from the online Apple Store are estimated to ship in 7-10 weeks. In his keynote, Steve Jobs noted that the first 17" PowerBooks would ship in February.

Meanwhile, MacNN readers report receiving shipment confirmation of 12" Aluminum PowerBook orders: "We got email confirmation today that our order for the PowerBook G4 12" models have shipped from Taiwan." (The first models were expected to ship within 2 weeks of the January 7th keynote.)

Good news for the foot long!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    My dealer says that they're shipping out today (the 12"PB's) and should be in store by Friday. Hmmm... I wonder who'll get their PB's first, those who go through the Apple Store or those who were first in line at a large dealer or brick and mortar Apple-Store? I hoping for the latter.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yup, two people I know told me their 12 PowerBooks shipped from Japan yesterday afternoon. One had his shipped overnight, so it probably arrive today...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I think with the 17 we are dealing with not only the backlit keyboard but also the Firwewire 800. Maybe that is why they are not on the 12 or that too would be shipping late Feb.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The Apple Store in Salem, NH told me the 12" wouldn't be in for another 2-4 weeks. That pissed me off. I was hoping I'd be able to buy one there on my way back to college, get the discount, t-shirt, whole enchilada last weekend. 2-4 weeks Fran? Say it ain't so...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    My Dealer said the goods won't be here for three [3] weeks. but Bob just says sh#t like that to make me happy i think. Oh thats for 12" PB.

flick.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Yup, two people I know told me their 12 PowerBooks shipped from Japan yesterday afternoon. One had his shipped overnight, so it probably arrive today...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why would they be shipping from Japan? -- I thought they were manufactured in Taiwan.

BTW My order at Apple Japan has shown no signs of changing status since I made it.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>

Why would they be shipping from Japan? -- I thought they were manufactured in Taiwan.

BTW My order at Apple Japan has shown no signs of changing status since I made it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

My brain said Taiwan, but my hands typed Japan.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    here in the uk my local apple centre weren't expecting any 12" PBs for a week or two ... they'd seen one demo model at apple uk hq but weren't allowed to play with it for long or take it apart. they didnt even see a 17" model, and don't expect to see many at first. sounds like it may take a while for production to ramp up. it'll be interesting to see when demo models make it into shops here in europe. any news?

i just got a shipping confirmation from apple tonight for my 12"/640Mb/superdrive. sounds like the apple plant at cork is starting to send out lots of nice goodies. now i just have to hope they come soon, and that ilife is preinstalled, or they give it to me for free.

fingers x'd