1gb ram

120gb hard drive

superdrive

airport card

Software:

Mac OSX 10.3.7

iLife '05

$550 w/shipping

This is my first mac, I just plan on screwing around with it to see what it's all about. If I really like it then I will go for a dual 1.7ghz upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by archer75

What do you think?...

I have a very similar dual 500 (Mystic) that I paid $900 for two years ago.

I added a 120GB WD hard drive and Superdrive to it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fan noise. I have a Cube and a Powerbook as well and they are nearly silent.

I use it for games and as extra storage space so it's mostly powered down until I want to use it. The dual 500 is a great system though.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    congrats
  • Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by archer75

What do you think?

Powermac G4

Dual 500mhz

1gb ram

120gb hard drive

superdrive

airport card

Software:

Mac OSX 10.3.7

iLife '05

$550 w/shipping

This is my first mac, I just plan on screwing around with it to see what it's all about. If I really like it then I will go for a dual 1.7ghz upgrade.

honestly. i question whether that is a better deal than the Mac mini. Mac mini will likely perform a bit better in many areas, has new graphics, smaller footprint, USB2, and a stronger software selection.

buttttttt.... duals are always fun. and its a great system none the less. have fun, im jealous
  • Reply 4 of 4
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    You really couldn't get a mini with those specs for the same price. I'd say the PowerMac is a good buy all around and you can always turn around and sell it again if you decide to get a new mac.