PowerMac G5 Owner's who installed extra RAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just recently installed 1GB (2x512MB) of Kingston RAM into my G5 and I have noticed that the Memory Heatsink Controller stays around 150 Deg F. Now it never ran this hot before when I had the stock 512MB. Also I have noticed that occasionally if I click on another program to open up it will freeze and I will have to force quit it and then relaunch it. Now I don't think this could be bad memory could it? The System Profiler is showing 1.5GB Total and I have run memory checks and everything appears ok. I just wanted some feedback on others who have installed extra RAM to see what temperature they are running at. I installed this this

freeware application to monitor my G5.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    To see if it's the memory that is causing the problem; remove it and see how the system runs Easiest way to tell.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Avor

To see if it's the memory that is causing the problem; remove it and see how the system runs Easiest way to tell.

I realize as much as I'm not a novice to computers by anymeans. I simply wanted to know from other PowerMac G5 owner's how hot their memory controller was getting with the extra RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I also added 1GB of ram. I never used it with 512M, though, so I can't say if anything changed.

My memory controller idles at 75C (170F), so your's is not unusually hot. Depending on your processor performance settings and cpu activity this will vary.

I'm not getting any freezes or anything like you said. My only complaint is about the thermal management for the memory controller. The temps. never comes to equilibrium when the g5 is idle (in any performance state). So I get the fan spinning up and down EVERY 3 min or so. Thats annoying... we need to have some user control of the fans. I want to keep the fan at higher rpm's instead of this up and down. firmware updates, hopefully.