Securing a Mac mini

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got around to talking with my school's chief computer guy. I told him (half-jokingly) that we should replace very PC with a mini. He liked the idea but brought up a really good point that i totally did not consider.

The mini is very small and being a school, people are regularly walking around with school-bags. It would be very easy for someone to just stick a mini in their bag and leave. There is the option of taking our savings from the educational discount (~$20) and buy some Kingston security cables but a) it would be a pain to have 70+ keys to worry about, b) if we decided to go with the combo ones, it would be a pain to set them all and finally c) regardless of the cable, a good pair of scissors could take care of it in a minute.

Does anybody have any ideas for securing them? My suggestion was to drill the base to the table then snap it back in. The problem with that is we wouldn't be able to get it back. Any [feasible] ideas are welcomed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Being the minis are so small you could conceivably put them all in a lockable cabinet with the wires to the monitors/keyboards zip tied together and routed to look good, and have the security you want. When a CD needs to be inserted then you have the teacher administering the class open it up, all of the minis are labeled with their nubmers, as well as the monitors they are hooked up to, and there you go!