Keyboard mapping in MacOS-X 10.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there,

I am an apple newbie and received my mac mini two days ago.

I got a problem with the keyboard mapping. It is not detected correctly, and during the setup process I haven't been asked about that.

Since I live in Germany, I have a standard latin-de keyboard.

The odd thing is, that it doesn't fit with the american keyboard mapping either, since "z" and "y" are mapped correctly, as well as "ä", "ü" and "ö".

Other things are wrong, like "@" or "\\".

Any hints?

thx!

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Incoming

Hi there,

I am an apple newbie and received my mac mini two days ago.

I got a problem with the keyboard mapping. It is not detected correctly, and during the setup process I haven't been asked about that.

Since I live in Germany, I have a standard latin-de keyboard.

The odd thing is, that it doesn't fit with the american keyboard mapping either, since "z" and "y" are mapped correctly, as well as "ä", "ü" and "ö".

Any hints?

thx!

David

Launch System Preferences. Open the International preferences pane. Click the Input Menu tab. Select the keyboard that you want.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Launch System Preferences. Open the International preferences pane. Click the Input Menu tab. Select the keyboard that you want.

Hi!

Already done that. The appropriate keyboard (latin-de) was already selected.

I talked to a friend of mine, who has an ibook, and she said, the keys are mapped like they should be on an apple keyboard, not a standard pc one.

Where can I fix that?

thx!

David
  • Reply 3 of 5
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Incoming

It may just be a difference in Apple's layouts. I know over here, PCs have the @ above the single quote, but Macs have the @ above the 2.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It wasn't until this month that I realized that Macs and PCs have differing layouts in some countries. Of course there are quite a few layouts for various languages, but I'd assumed that each language would have one standard for both Mac and PC. Shows how much I know about typing on non north american keyboards.

Now I'm fascinated. In the united states we used to have a ridiculous number of differing layouts. These dated back to the typewritter days when each manufacturer advertised having the best layout. In the computer era, each mainframe and terminal manufacturer also had their own keyboard layout. Some still do... ever try to get used to the control key being where caps lock normally is? Heheh...

Does there seem to be a trend to standardize layouts in most nations? I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Since keyboards are standardized for thousands of miles in every direction, it isn't a topic that is ever brought up around here. (Shhh, i've forgotten all about queebec)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hi!

Already found two answers:

1. You can create your own keyboard mapping in /System/Libraries/Keyboard Mappings/

2. You can install drivers from the logitech website. These are correct, except for a few keys..

David