iPod Outbreak At Microsoft HQ

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From Wired:

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66460,00.html

"I don't really care if it pisses them off," he said. "I'll argue why they're doing it wrong. If you want me to stop using it, give me a product that works and is as easy to use" a Microsoft manager is quoted as saying about his iPod use at Microsoft.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Very intersting...even people from Microsoft realize their products are no where near the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    So.. how long before microsoft employees are strip searched for iPods coming into work
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

So.. how long before microsoft employees are strip searched for iPods coming into work

bout a couple of weeks prolly.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    great article... loved it!

"I don't really care if it pisses them off," he said. "I'll argue why they're doing it wrong. If you want me to stop using it, give me a product that works and is as easy to use."
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Most amusing, heh.

I wonder just how long Apple can keep dominating this market so completely, and what Microsoft could do to stop them if they (shiver) perceive the iPod as as a bona fide threat. Well, it's nice to be king of the hill, anyway, for as long as it lasts.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm pretty certain that Microsoft perceives the iPod as a threat. In fact based upon all the FUD getting tossed around, I'm sure they're not the only that's worried, and I'm talking hardware and software vendors.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It's not just about iPod's dominance in the digital music player market, but that it's starting to break down the barriers many PC users feel towards Apple. If they feel comfortable and happy with their iPod why not with a Mac? We all know how much of an image problem Apple had in the mid to late 90's, but the iPod is helping to turn that around and give Apple a cool, youthful image that is attracting the young and young at heart. This is exactly where Apple wants to be in terms of their niche market. Microsoft is desperate to halt this decline in mindshare more than anything.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Todays youth is tomorrows future.

I love this story btw.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I'm pretty certain that Microsoft perceives the iPod as a threat. In fact based upon all the FUD getting tossed around, I'm sure they're not the only that's worried, and I'm talking hardware and software vendors.

I'm sure the Windows Media group is deeply frustrated by the iPod's success, but I think Microsoft (higher mangagement) still sees the iPod phenom as a temporary -- even momentary -- nuisance. When Microsoft sees the iPod as a bona fide threat to any of the markets it dominates, and digital media in general... I think we'll know.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    For more Microsoft humor: http://www.microsoft.com/interop

I bet they have as much success with this endeavor as their push for "security".