eMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know a lot of you don't much like the eMac and that the Mac Mini might seem to make it redudant, but it still appeals to me. I like its looks and I'm not so crazy about LCD screens as some people are. It still seems a good-value integrated package and if I got a mini, I'd want a matching Apple keyboard and mouse then I'd have to spend quite a lot to get an LCD screen which would match it, and even then it wouldn't be an Apple screen.

So, now the PowerBook has had its update and eMac seems long overdue for one, anyone got any ideas or knowledge about whether Apple will either update the eMac or discontinue it completely?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Are you looking to get an eMac?

Even if theyre discontinued (which I doubt Apple would do since they'd be pretty much eliminating half their education customers), they'll still provide support for it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RSteve

So, now the PowerBook has had its update and eMac seems long overdue for one, anyone got any ideas or knowledge about whether Apple will either update the eMac or discontinue it completely?

I really like me eMac, and I got from the refurb store for $500 ( 800mhz, no modem ).

They are selling the 1.25 superdrive model in there for 799, which is 200 off.

My refurb was indistinguishable from a new machine - perfect condition.

For comparison, a mini would cost 707 ( 1.25, 80gb, keyboard + mouse ). You still need to get a monitor for that.

On the monitor front, the one in the eMac is only adequete ( I use mine everyday quite happily ).

Im very happy with my choice of the eMac, but given the choice again I would get the mini. In fact, Im going to sell my eMac and get a mini. If you dont like LCDs you can always get a good CRT, but pretty much anything will be better than the eMacs display.

Dont forget, Tiger will be out in 4-5 months, and will cost you 130 for an upgrade. Ill be waiting till it is shipping with machines to buy the mini, at 25% of the base cost it is a pretty significant cost to incure after a couple of months.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Agreed.. I would definitely wait for Tiger unless you're on a specific timeframe.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I doubt that they will eliminate the eMac completely. But IMO, the eMac will become more and more education-oriented. eMacs might become optical-driveless and maybe only available through the Apple Education Store.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i'm sick of lifting emacs, so damn heavy.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    LCD monitors blwo up more quickly than CRT's