12" PowerBook 1.5 GHz is here!!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Apple store in Regent Street finally got a limited shipment of the new PowerBooks today - 12" superdrive only for the moment . But that model was the one I was going to get, so I've now got one. Yay!

Setup was so easy - I used the setup assistant and a firewire cable to transfer my user account and files from my old iMac, and everything was sorted in around an hour. Now I've reinstalled the applications (I used the opportunity to have a clear out). Everything working OK .

I've also swapped one of the 256MB RAM modules with the 512MB module from my iMac, as they are the same.

I'm very impressed. It's so small and light! And quiet! And I'm writing this whilst sat on my couch watching TV . Wireless is great!

Here's some pictures .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    congrats! that's a great little machine you've got
  • Reply 2 of 23
    My new PB 12" should arrive next week I hope. I've got a two year old 700Mhz G3 ibook that I need to transfer stuff from. Do I just need to get a firewire cable to do this?

Congrats on the new purchase!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    great little machine. i went into my local apple store with the 12inch in mind, and walked out with a 15in superdrive, and i feel quite lucky right now, mainly because the guy who helped me gave me an education discount that was quite extravagant. anywayz this thingis a monster. i cant believe those 17 inch buyers. good luck with the 12, its a beautiful lil guy with a pretty serious processor.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyb

My new PB 12" should arrive next week I hope. I've got a two year old 700Mhz G3 ibook that I need to transfer stuff from. Do I just need to get a firewire cable to do this?

Congrats on the new purchase!

Yeah, I was wondering just how much stuff it moves over? DOes it let you sleect the things you want to move over? I don't want a lot of junk copied over. I just bought a firewire cable, so I'll be ready.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Hey, my new 12" SuperDrive shipped yesterday and should be here by monday! I also got the free printer and a .mac subscription. I'll post pics after i get it...with my new .mac website! Let's see what else...umm here's my old website www.geocities.com/moeskergrr and..that's about it!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Transferring files is really simple.

1) Turn on the new Mac

2) The setup assistant asks if you have an old Mac you want to transfer files from. Select yes.

3) Connect a firewire cable between the two Macs, then reboot the old one in firewire target disk mode (i.e. hold down T whilst rebooting).

4) You are presented with a screen where you can select what you want to transfer:
    • User Accounts

• Network Settings

• Applications

• 'Files and Folders'

I think that the last option is for transferring files and folders that are not in one of the user account folders.

The setup assistant initially reported it would take 2.5 hours, but that was rapidly revised down, and it ended up taking around 45 minutes for all my stuff (30GB iTunes, 10GB iPhoto, 500MB other stuff). Once it was all finished, everything was there - it was like it was the same machine . Although I chose not to transfer the applications, as I thought that would be a good opportunity to have a good clear out . You don't get much fine control over what is transferred, just the options listed above. So it might be a good idea to have a clear out of any old prefs files floating around on your old Mac .

Oh yeah, touchpad scrolling is great!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I assume the transfer is smart enough not to copy iLife 04 over?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I assume the transfer is smart enough not to copy iLife 04 over?

I already had iLife 05 installed on my iMac, so I can't be 100% sure. However, I'm sure that during my research in to the setup assistant I read somewhere that it wouldn't copy old applications.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Nice!

How is the screen? Same crappy viewingangle as the old 12"?

//Copse
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Dave,

I have the same machine as you on order. Have you ran xbench? Make sure your CPU is set to highest before you run it, and close other aps.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    How often does your fan come on? Is it loud?

Congrats on the sweet new machine.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Copse,

I have no idea, as I have never used an old version to compare against . I have no problems using it straight on though.

ibook911,

I've just run XBench, and here are the results. I've also put my iMac 1.25 GHz results up there, but I can't get the two to show together. Just search on 'abrey', you'll find it . Pretty much as expected, slight gains across the board, but the disk tests were slower - I guess this is just down to differences in drive model, as I was under the impression that they both had 5400 rpm drive \.

murbot,

Thanks .

The fan does seem to run a lot, but as I said, I've never had another laptop to compare against. I think it was running more when processor performance was set to highest - when I set it back to automatic, it occasionally ramps up and down. I don't find it obtrusive - it's much quieter than my iMac though .
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Dave, those are some very solid xbench scores on the PBook. I can't wait until mine arrives. Please continue to enjoy yours! Sounds like you have a great machine, and your imac looks great too!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Dave, those are some very solid xbench scores on the PBook. I can't wait until mine arrives. Please continue to enjoy yours! Sounds like you have a great machine, and your imac looks great too!

Thanks . I'm sure I'll enjoy it .
  • Reply 15 of 23
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    How's the screen? 3 years ago, the 12" was as good as any you were going to find, but if nothing's changed, then you have to consider it a bit dated. A proper calibration did wonders for my 867, but I hope they've improved somewhat.

• Reply 16 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    For the comparison between Abrey's PB/iMac, this link should work:

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge....setCookie=true

Thanks for the XBench result btw. Gives me a basis to compare against my 12" Rev. B PB.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    This is making me so excited to get my little PB in the mail on Monday!! Heres a question for you, do you have any games you can try on it?

I was thinking about buying C&C Generals--that is if it will run ok.

Anyone know if it would play acceptably?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

How's the screen? 3 years ago, the 12" was as good as any you were going to find, but if nothing's changed, then you have to consider it a bit dated. A proper calibration did wonders for my 867, but I hope they've improved somewhat.

I haven't done a proper calibration, as I don't have a hardware calibration device . Also, I have never seen the older version, so I can't make a comparison. But I reckon that a proper calibration would improve things a bit.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

For the comparison between Abrey's PB/iMac, this link should work:

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge....setCookie=true

Thanks for the XBench result btw. Gives me a basis to compare against my 12" Rev. B PB.

Thanks for that link, I knew it could be done .
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

This is making me so excited to get my little PB in the mail on Monday!! Heres a question for you, do you have any games you can try on it?

I was thinking about buying C&C Generals--that is if it will run ok.

Anyone know if it would play acceptably?

The only game I have is Halo, and I haven't bothered to install it. If someone can tell me if there's a simple way to run benchmarks in Halo, I might give it a go .

Enjoy your PB when it arrives .