Powerbook unexpectedly goes to sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Powerbook (<1 year old, 1.5GHz, 1 GB RAM) is unexpectedly going to sleep.

I'm able to replicate the problem by working on my laptop for around 1/2 hour; thereafter, the system goes into sleep mode, the disk spins down and the display first goes about 95% dark, then about 20 seconds later goes completely dark. When I wiggle the screen (i.e. move it about 5 degrees either toward or away from the keyboard) the system alert rapidly chirps about 20 times, then the system wakes up, only to fall back into sleep mode when I start working again.

My Powerbook has behaving this way for about three weeks and has worsened in the last three days.

I suspect that due to general heat issues endemic to some Al and Ti Powerbook models that the form factor has slightly flexed and possibly some of the ribbon cables have become unseated. At least that's my hope. Do you think tightening up connectors and screws on the body might alleviate this problem? Please advise.

I have a Genius Bar appointment at 6.40 pm at the Soho/Manhattan Apple Store. Hopefully I will be able to post happy news by 7.40 pm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minorscience

My Powerbook (<1 year old, 1.5GHz, 1 GB RAM) is unexpectedly going to sleep.

I'm able to replicate the problem by working on my laptop for around 1/2 hour; thereafter, the system goes into sleep mode, the disk spins down and the display first goes about 95% dark, then about 20 seconds later goes completely dark. When I wiggle the screen (i.e. move it about 5 degrees either toward or away from the keyboard) the system alert rapidly chirps about 20 times, then the system wakes up, only to fall back into sleep mode when I start working again.

My Powerbook has behaving this way for about three weeks and has worsened in the last three days.

I suspect that due to general heat issues endemic to some Al and Ti Powerbook models that the form factor has slightly flexed and possibly some of the ribbon cables have become unseated. At least that's my hope. Do you think tightening up connectors and screws on the body might alleviate this problem? Please advise.

I have a Genius Bar appointment at 6.40 pm at the Soho/Manhattan Apple Store. Hopefully I will be able to post happy news by 7.40 pm.

good luck, make sure you keep us informed.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I booted up from a known good base operating system and problem persists. This rules out any software issue. I'm pretty sure there is a compromised piece of hardware causing the problem. We'll see how Apple handles it. If anyone has any futher speculation (possible heat/form factor issue?), I'd greatly appreciate it.