Imac Flashing Sleep Light

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Pleaaaase, I haven't been able to sleep for many days now...its the light, the damn flashy 'sleep' light on the front of the imac.

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=98006 for more frustrated insomniacs.

?!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Turn you iMac off

Simple, it take less than 30sec for the iMac to start up so its hardly any different
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbeard

Pleaaaase, I haven't been able to sleep for many days now...its the light, the damn flashy 'sleep' light on the front of the imac.

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=98006 for more frustrated insomniacs.

?!?

when the imac is on, try holding in the power button until it fades out or something. on the new displays that how you tell the light to stay off.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Problem with turning computer off: I often have background processes working on downloads or what have you (so 'puter may not even be asleep, just have the monitor off)

ipodandimac: I'm pretty sure your suggestion would restart the machine.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Problem with turning computer off: I often have background processes working on downloads or what have you (so 'puter may not even be asleep, just have the monitor off)

ipodandimac: I'm pretty sure your suggestion would restart the machine.

ya i wrote that response too early in the morning. my bad.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    any ideas on how to solve this problem with software?!?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

any ideas on how to solve this problem with software?!?

Not that I know of, but a small strip of easily removable masking tape will do the trick. No?

Next ... how to takle the annoying LED at the end of the power cable.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Not that I know of, but a small strip of easily removable masking tape will do the trick. No?

NO ... that light is BRIGHT !!! it ends up (when the room is dark) causing the white plastic to glow brightly in a circle at least 2 inches in diameter... plus the tape leaves a sticky/dirty smudge on the front of the machine...

The designers of that thing really failed to consider how many users might set up in their bed/dorm rooms.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Open up the back, remove the mid-plane and flip it over. You'll find a small 'trumpet' shaped piece of plastic at the bottom right, the LED sits at the base of this.

Either:

Put a blob of clear silicone in the end of the 'trumpet' this will dim the light.

or

Cut out a small circle of black card and put a small hole in the centre, stick this over the end of the 'trumpet' this will make the light look more like the one on an iBook.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    software..please, software! No taping, cutting or silicone adhesives on my baby please!?!

Surely there is something one could do in Terminal to fix this?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Not letting it sleep might do it - just allow screen/disk powerdown, but not sleep mode?

Just a thought. Mine sleeps with a solid white light, but I can't remember the settings off-hand.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Do what i do and stand a dvd box against the mac when your asleep... or want to sleep...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Drop by the fabric store and get a nice thick piece of black twill cut 17" x 20" or so, and toss it over the monitor at bedtime. It'll give you the added bonus of keeping the dust down.