Keyboard Shortcuts

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just got my MacMini on Thursday. As a first time OS X user, I'm absolutely thrilled.

The OS X experience has been absolutely delightful. However, there's only one dissapointment. For an OS that's a descendent of NextStep, I was expecting more in the way of keyboard shortcuts. I used to run WindowMaker (GNUstep) on Linux, which is supposed to be like the original NextStep OS, and I could basically assign keyboad shortcuts for everything.

First of all, let me make it clear that I'm running a Windows keyboard. I've ordered an Apple keyboard, but it's only going to arrive on Monday.

I know that OS X allows you to assign keyboard shortcuts for any action you can find in the menu bar, profided you spell that action exactly as it's spelled in the menu bar. Still, there are several keyboard shortcuts I haven't been able to find anything on google or the standard list of keyboard shortcuts:

1) Maximize window (there's not even a menu option for this)

2) Toggle selection on menu bar (in Windows, pressing ALT will allow to scroll the menu bar options with the keyboard)

3) Launch a specific application (ex Ctrl-F1 for Firefox, KDE and WindowMaker allow for this)

4) Minimize all windows (I know Command-Option M will do this, but I'm using a Windows keyboard, and even though I know command maps to the Windows key, I can't seem to find the option key")

5) Connect/Disconnect to PPPoE (I'd like to do this with a keyboard shortcut)

Forgive me for being a keyboard zealot

Comments

• Reply 2 of 4
    Regarding keyboard shortcuts...

I have noticed when I "Apple" + "Tab" through the curenty running programs, OSX will not open a minimized or hidden window when you select the given application. Is there a way around this? I have been unsuccessful in finding an Unminimize or Unhide shortcut key.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckLlama

Regarding keyboard shortcuts...

I have noticed when I "Apple" + "Tab" through the curenty running programs, OSX will not open a minimized or hidden window when you select the given application. Is there a way around this? I have been unsuccessful in finding an Unminimize or Unhide shortcut key.

"Apple-M" will usually minimize any given window into the dock.

There isn't a shortcut for maximize or "un-minimize".

More Mac Keyboard Shortcuts here
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    You will want to download Quicksilver right away.