FTP in Finder?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How is Finders FTP capabilities. Does it work ok?

I was thinking on mounting a FTP server, to use it sorta like an iDisk. Will this work? And do I have to re-mount the FTP server every time I restart OSX?

And yes, I have searched the forum, but all the posts where aimed at OSX 10.2...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jiggigibbie

I was thinking on mounting a FTP server, to use it sorta like an iDisk. Will this work? And do I have to re-mount the FTP server every time I restart OSX?

And yes, I have searched the forum, but all the posts where aimed at OSX 10.2...

You can only download from Desktop mounted FTP servers. You cannot upload to them. However, Interarchy allows you to mount FTP servers with upload as well as download capability.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I read in anothere post on this forum that the uploading thing was fixed, but I guess that information was incorrect.

I guess I have to check out Interarchy when I get my powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    That about sums up the finder's capabilities.

For further functionality, check out the ftp program thread.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It doesn't work like typical apple innovation. In fact just pretend there is no FTP in the finder, because that's exactly what apple does. Shhh ;-)

Quote:

Originally posted by jiggigibbie

• Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You can only download from Desktop mounted FTP servers. You cannot upload to them...

And I thought I was going crazy wondering why it wasn't working!

Is there a reason Apple made it like this? Or is it a bug?