Getting a new TV

thttht
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New home means new TV. Actually we are getting either a free 30" Panasonic HDTV CRT or a 1000$ credit on any Panasonic television from our subdivision. So we are thinking which would be the best technology to get. Must be a Panasonic though.

Which has the clearest, sharpest and best picture? CRT, CRT Rear Projection, LCD rear projection, LCD or Plasma screen? With what I've seen so far, CRT rear projection provides the sharpest screen. Poor field of view, but definitely sharpest screen. LCD and Plasma are surprisingly grainy, except for the uber expensive ones.

So what is your experience and what would you recommend?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    i am freaked out that your subdivision is giving you this money...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Panasonic's plasma have the best black level performance. PlasmaTVBuyingGuide.com has reviews if you are interested.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Even though it's "old" technology, CRT is still the way to go for picture quality. Plasma is a relatively new technology and still has some problems associated with picture quality and, don't forget, price!

Depends what you prefer and what your willing to trade off (price v's size, weight etc.)

Check here
  • Reply 4 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I still can't get over the price difference between the CRT and non-CRT TVs. My stingy mother just spent $3k on a TV? Unless you live in a NYC apartment I can't see why people waste so much money just to get a flat TV
  • Reply 5 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Panny DLP

Unless you want something to hang on your wall.

PT50DL54 50" for about $2300 before your discount.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well,

I have sony 36" flat HDTV CRT. It is really nice. Then again, for what I paid I could have gotten a bigscreen HDTV. When you say that there is a poor field of view for the CRT, is that a typo? I see that problem with projection sets (big screen, I mean) but not with CRTs. One thing is that having 4:3 kind of drives me nuts.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    SDW, I was talking about rear projection CRTs, ie, big screens. They have the sharpest screens with the deepest blacks et al, but the field of view is about 20 degrees at best. It's gotten a lot better than 4 or 5 years ago though.

The big screen TVs, 40+ inches, are all very expensive. The rear projection CRTs are affordable for us, but once we look into plasma, LCD or DLP televisions, we will have to fork over at least a grand on top of the $1k credit. On top of that, they aren't exactly sharp, though we haven't looked at DLPs a lot yet. Generally not worth it for us... but just getting a regular, albiet free, 30" tube doesn't seem all that great. Its weight per screen size is huge.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I was planning on getting this one:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...h50phd7uy.html

You can get them for about $4500 online.

They last 60,000 hours (which for me is like 60 years), have burn-in protection so you can play games, and cool plug in modules for different input types (DVI, component, etc).

If you want a really big screen, this is the way to go - the three main advantages are 1) it is flat 2) it is light weight and 3) it seems to absorb light from windows instead of reflect it.

- Plasma has a slightly better picture for less money

than LCD

- Plasma has a much better picture than rear projection,

with much less bulk.

- Front projection gives you lousy blacks unless you

can totally darken the room, otherwise this is the way

to go (I have front projection in my downstairs theater

room that has no windows, the plasma is for my bedroom)

- CRTs don't get this big (although the discontinued Sony

40" Wega CRT is still available online, and because it is

4x3 instead of widescreen, it is about the same size as

a 50" plasma when watching regular TV)

- CRTs are very heavy, and take up a lot of room (300 lbs

for the 40" wega)

- CRTs reflect light from windows during the day. If you go

to circuit city or something, the difference can be seen

when you look at the reflections of the store lights.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    $4500 just to watch a bunch of dumb TeeVee shows and DVDs? What a waste. Just get a CRT TV and send the other $4000 to someone that can use it.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

$4500 just to watch a bunch of dumb TeeVee shows and DVDs? What a waste. Just get a CRT TV and send the other $4000 to someone that can use it.

I have a CRT, but it uses up too much room. Remember that you pay for every square foot of your house or apartment. The space that the CRT currently occupies cost me $1200 to build, and I pay for heat and air-conditioning for that space.

Buying a Plasma TV works out to about the same cost as buying a large CRT when you take these things into account. A 40" CRT costs $2000. Plus, where you spend your money has an influence on the things that get made by manufacturers - do you want to encourage them to make flatscreens or continue to make CRTs?

And TeeVee shows are not as dumb if you get DirecTv with Tivo... Venture Brothers, Daria, Futurama, Nero Wolfe, the Daily Show, and Cowboy BeBop are my favorites.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't have any TV advice (I'm with Scott on the cost of TVs), but I'm curious about your subdivision paying for it. What's up with that?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i went through the whole t.v. buying process before christmas. theres a lot of scary acronyms so be careful. dlp, crt, lcd, hdtv, edtv, wtftv. who knows what they all mean. i got burned by burn-in though. i had done a bit of research, and decided to go with one the store guy had recommended and seemed like the best all around deal. i was fairly confident that it was a lcd or dlp, both (if memory serves) are immune from burn in. well, a month or so of halo2 later, i noticed a slight burn; i looked up my t.v. and confirmed that it is susceptible. you can't really see it during t.v. shows unless the color is just right.

they say with t.v.s that are susceptible to burn-in that all kinds of things can hurt it. like watching 4:3 with sidebars. so, with bars, they get a constant barrage of grey or non-barrage of black (absence of color). since the 4:3 midarea is still getting light, over long periods of time they say the middle would become noticeably lighter than the bar area. of course, this depends on how much 4:3 vs. full view you watch. and burn in isn't covered by any kind of warantee.

the image quality on it is amazing though. black is blacker than black. and hdtv is unbelievably amazing. some of the plasmas and lcds i looked at had some issues with hd. my toshiba is perfect quality even when u look really close. it also has a really wide view angle (well wide enough for my living room).

being a nyc apartment dweller, i'll almost certainly go with a thin one this time. the depth of the t.v. is something you might want to consider (mine is like 2.5-3ft deep); the real big ones can also get real big in depth. we made room for mine, but getting that space back would be nice.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i looked up my t.v. and confirmed that it is susceptible.

So from this, I would assume that you have a conventional CRT-based display (either a front-view/tube or a rear projection)?

Quote:

they say with t.v.s that are susceptible to burn-in that all kinds of things can hurt it. like watching 4:3 with sidebars. so, with bars, they get a constant barrage of grey or non-barrage of black (absence of color). since the 4:3 midarea is still getting light, over long periods of time they say the middle would become noticeably lighter than the bar area. of course, this depends on how much 4:3 vs. full view you watch. and burn in isn't covered by any kind of warantee.

Most burn-in is preventable without taking any special measures. For one, use AVIA or Digital Video Essentials to "calibrate" the set and turn down brightness and contrast to more sane levels. The factory defaults are perfect to wear out your brand new set in short order (remember, brightness sells on the showroom floor).

I suspect if you had taken care and done these quick adjustments, your Halo playing wouldn't have affected your set as quickly.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I don't have any TV advice (I'm with Scott on the cost of TVs), but I'm curious about your subdivision paying for it. What's up with that?

It - free Panasonic CT-30WX54 television or $1k credit towards other Panasonic TV, and free 2 months of Time Warner digital cable and cable modem service - was an incentive for buying a new house in my subdivision. The subdivision was able to make a deal with Panasonic (or its distributor NAM Electronics) and Time Warner to sponsor the deal.

We actually had no idea of it when we signed the earnest money contract. Pleasant surprise. So, we were thinking of taking the $1k credit, spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars and having a big screen TV in the house. This is compared to my 10 year old Sony 27", so it's nice upgrade, and all-in-all, not a bad deal. We certainly will not be spending $3k or $4 on it, maybe $1k at most. Not sure yet. Maybe taking the free CRT and putting it on ebay is the right thing to do.

The big ticket item this month will be a soft water filter and purifier for the whole house. It's just too bad the subdivision didn't have $1k discounts for that. We just wish we have $3k or $4k to throw around these days. My aging 500 MHz iBook with 256 MB RAM is desperate for retirement... but it will have to do for at least another year.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

So from this, I would assume that you have a conventional CRT-based display (either a front-view/tube or a rear projection)?

Yeah Freak, I am very interested in what sort of TV you got that has burn-in. DLP and LCD are supposed to have burn-in.

[edit: sigh, that is "aren't supposed"]
  • Reply 16 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Yeah Freak, I am very interested in what sort of TV you got that has burn-in. DLP and LCD are supposed to have burn-in.

Actually DLP does not burn in because it is basically reflected images coming off of micro-mirrors. LCDs are supposed to be impervious as well. Plasmas have gases that generate a lot of heat and thus are dangerous for reasons that sadly I cannot explain with any persuasiveness.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Actually DLP does not burn in because it is basically reflected images coming off of micro-mirrors. LCDs are supposed to be impervious as well. Plasmas have gases that generate a lot of heat and thus are dangerous for reasons that sadly I cannot explain with any persuasiveness.

Plasmas used to have burn-in problems, but they solved that by moving the image around so slowly that you can't see it. They are often used as product display billboards, which shows you how successful they have been in eliminating burn-in.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    One more point on burn-in. I have a CRT front projector, and CRTs are supposed to be the worst for burn in. I use it 5 or 10 hours a week playing PS2 games, and I have no problem with any burned in images. Games are the worst for burn-in because of the stationary item around the edges of the screen.

In order to burn in anything made recently, I think that you have to watch a heck of a lot of TV and games - or maybe frequently fall asleep with the image on.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Plasmas used to have burn-in problems, but they solved that by moving the image around so slowly that you can't see it. They are often used as product display billboards, which shows you how successful they have been in eliminating burn-in.

Plasmas still have burn-in issues... they're better than they've ever been but they are still the most susceptible to burn-in compared to the other technologies.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Plasmas still have burn-in issues... they're better than they've ever been but they are still the most susceptible to burn-in compared to the other technologies.

Have you seen any recently made Plasma display have burn in? Panasonic is on their 7th generation of screens, and they only "fixed" the burn in problem recently. Maybe you are thinking of either earlier tvs or budget versions?

I am very interested because I plan to buy one and use it for games.