Do I have to pay for XCode?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just installed fink and would like to install packages from source. When I tried to run fink, it complained that it couldn't find gcc or cc.

I looked around the Fink site, and it pointed me to XCode and to the Apple Developer Connection site. When I tried to sign up, it asked me to subscribe to a plan where I'd have to pay for membership in order to download XCode.

Do I have to pay Apple to compile software on my own computer? If so, this is ridiculous!

Can anybody clarify?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Nevermind. It appears it's on the CD that came with my MacMini, but it's not installed by default.

WHEW!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You can become an Apple developer and have access to the site without paying as well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Nevermind. It appears it's on the CD that came with my MacMini, but it's not installed by default.

WHEW!

Right. It's not installed by default, since most people won't need it. But it's included as part of the OS X or System Restore CDs.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    JavaCowboy, glad you found the dev tools.

The free ADC membership you can sign up for gets you access to all publicly downloadable tools and SDKs as well as the documentation, which is updated on a regular basis.

You can also elect to get weekly emailings that outline what's new on the site, what's been updated in the docs, what new sample code has appeared, etc.

Not a bad deal for free.

If you're a student, $99 gets you a Student membership, which includes monthly mailings of CDs (and quarterly DVDs) for ease of archiving, *and* every OS update as it comes out.

If you're not a student, $500 is the entry price, but you also get advance seedings of future technologies (Tiger, for example) and hardware discounts.

Yeah, go for the free account.