Using a IMAC G5's monitor for a PC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has no one tried to use the beautiful 20" display for another computer (via KVM switch, etc.)? I can't see ditching this computer (and monitor) in 3-4 years when it's out of date. I'm a home-built PC user which explains my thoughts. Waste not, want not.

-Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It's probably possible with the proper tools (soldering iron, hacksaw etc.) and the appropriate technical knowledge. But most people won't be able to do it even with instructions posted on the web.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

It's probably possible with the proper tools (soldering iron, hacksaw etc.) and the appropriate technical knowledge. But most people won't be able to do it even with instructions posted on the web.

why can't they make it easier. It would be so cool to use the iMac monitor with a PowerBook in a few years!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I think Apple and other manufacturers are missing a trick here. This is an excellent idea in all respects. In addition, I would like to see the possibility to use the monitor and keyboard of a laptop to control a powerful tower, getting the power of a tower while lazing on the sofa (okay, there will be a cable running between the 2 computers)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slimboywide

I think Apple and other manufacturers are missing a trick here. This is an excellent idea in all respects. In addition, I would like to see the possibility to use the monitor and keyboard of a laptop to control a powerful tower, getting the power of a tower while lazing on the sofa (okay, there will be a cable running between the 2 computers)

external keyboard, mouse and display would be cheaper than laptop but not as portable i supose. If you could use a fast wireless then it would be good, but wireless is slow. Wires are a pain, i don't see the use?!