What's the difference and which is better: HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I keep hearing about the next format wars being HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray. What's the difference? Is one of them clearly better? Which format is Apple supporting and which one will probably win?

I just think it's dumb to have new formats for movies and games already. DVD just became the standard not too long ago. Do we really need to have a new format, let alone two? Even if one of these catches on, they better be able to play all my DVDs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

I keep hearing about the next format wars being HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray. What's the difference? Is one of them clearly better? Which format is Apple supporting and which one will probably win?

I just think it's dumb to have new formats for movies and games already. DVD just became the standard not too long ago. Do we really need to have a new format, let alone two? Even if one of these catches on, they better be able to play all my DVDs.

There has been a big discussion on the merits of both just here.

They will both be able to play DVDs (though not each others formats...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    They both look good but I give the edge to BluRay for these reasons:

1. BluRay has more computer and data companies on board.

2. BluRay has more storage capacity.

3. I have been more impressed with the video quality of the BluRay demos I have seen.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Let me give you the absolute "take home message here"

Blu-Ray offers more data capacity. That's the main difference.

It doesn't matter one iota that HP, Dell or Apple supports Blu-Ray to Hollywood.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both support the same codecs so there is nada advantage there.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    i like Blu-Ray more becuase if the burner every go below $225 i would use it to back up my entire computer. HD-DVD can't do that because ther eisn't enough space (nor can IOMEGA Rev and tape drives are expensive)

What i am really looking forward to is HVD (Holographic Versatile Disk up to 1TB)