Changing Hard Drives But Not CCC'ing It

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there. I plan to upgrade my powerbook hard drive to the Toshiba 5400rpm 16MB Cache Drive. I don't mind doing a complete install, and I don't want to go about copying the hard drive to another... I just don't want to. I don't have an external drive, I use DVDs for swapping files. Sorry... I just knew I would get people trying to persuade me the other way.

So. My question is this. I can backup my mailboxes just fine by copying the folder to a folder on a CD, along with documents I have, photos, etc... So how can I copy the Keychain information? I plan to use the same Login name, and short name when reinstalling OS X. I noticed to come upon the login.keychain file in my Library folder on my home folder called Shawn and when I double click it my keychain opens up. I assume this would be easy. But, it also seems like the programmers wouldn't do something this easy, for people could easily copy others' information.

If you do happen to know if this will work, or another way that I could go about doing this, please let me know... otherwise I'll just resort to copying down all the information and redoing the keychain on the new hard drive.

I plan to do all of this when Tiger comes out, along with buying a stick of 1GB memory (also from OWC) to complement my 256 stick which would also be ing there. Including the hard drive. Please let me know if there will be any conflicts with this major update I have in mind...

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    go into your Library. you'll see a Keychains folder. Cpy the contents of it.

On new computer, go to Keychain applicaton (in your utillities folder) and simply select File -> Import. select old keychain file(s)

voila', done
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Great! Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Don't forget to go into your Library -> Preferences and grab the com.apple.mail file in there as well. That file has all your accounts in it. The Library -> Mail folder just has the mail messages themselves. So anything you want your preferences for copy the file over to the DVD and you will be good to go. I have done this at least a dozen times for people. If you need more help with apps just shoot me a PM.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Actually, this is verrrrry dificult! I can help you out, but I'll need your IP address, username and Keychain password.

Cool about the import feature. I'd overlooked that.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    So preferences I understand, also mailboxes and importing of the new keychain. But what about the Address Book and Contacts? can I keep all of my contacts but lose the groups they are in? Or can I save them all in some way, I couldn't really find an export that would export all of them; or did I overlook something?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    When I did this I found out that I also just made an extra computer as far as the iTunes app was concerned. I don't know how to let iTunes know that I just replaced the harddrive. Apparently iTunes tracks the hard drive not the computer so as you know you are allowed to have your copies of iTunes on a few computers, I think 4, but everytime you change harddrives iTunes sees that new harddrive as a new computer.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Actually, this is verrrrry dificult! I can help you out, but I'll need your IP address, username and Keychain password.

you also need his email to tell him about great deals on \\/1aGra for better S3>< !

and without that how will he ever know that he is paying way too much interest on their loans? and P3/\\/15 ENHANCEMENTS to make the \\/1aGra more interesting...

and of course, he could then help that poor Nigerian guy who always has large sums of money to launder...

If you want to help, be thorough

• Reply 8 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

When I did this I found out that I also just made an extra computer as far as the iTunes app was concerned. I don't know how to let iTunes know that I just replaced the harddrive. Apparently iTunes tracks the hard drive not the computer so as you know you are allowed to have your copies of iTunes on a few computers, I think 4, but everytime you change harddrives iTunes sees that new harddrive as a new computer.

I usualy de-authorise itunes before any system hardware or OS modification just to be safe, weather it be on a Mac or Windows
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Do you have a .Mac account? If so, use backup to backup all of your data (Mailboxes, Preferences, iTune library, iPhoto library, keychain, etc.) to DVD, CD, or your iPod. Afterwards simply, restore everything using Backup once you install your new drive.

It worked great for me.

Good luck.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I usualy de-authorise itunes before any system hardware or OS modification just to be safe, weather it be on a Mac or Windows

I have about 40GB of music, some iTunes some not. I fear the risk.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I usualy de-authorise itunes before any system hardware or OS modification

So how do I de-authorize tracks?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Go to Advanced on the Top and "Deauthorize Computer." it is self explantory from there. Also to comment on your address book you can do the same thing.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mr_emr_e Posts: 40member
    I put the same drive in my 12" - very nice.

I put a 7200 RPM Travelstar in my 15". I'm not sure if I can tell a difference, performance-wise, between the two.

Good choice.

(just my 2 cents, if anyone is considering the same)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Couldn't I just copy my home folder to an iPod and paste over that in the new OS X install? Do I need to go through the root user login and such to do this?

Quote:

The steps in this section back up all of your users' files and the Shared folder. After the files are backed up, you may use the restore steps (Section III) to copy them to a different computer or to put them back on the same computer after erasing your hard drive, for example.

Follow these steps:

1. Log in as the root user. For help with this step, see technical document 106290: "Mac OS X: About the root User and How to Enable It".

2. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.

3. Choose Computer from the Go menu.

4. Open the Mac OS X startup disk, and locate the Users folder in it.

5. Copy the Users folder to your backup storage location.

6. After copying the Users folder, open it.

7. Note the names of the folders in Users. Each folder other than Shared is the "short name" of one of your users. You will need these names spelled exactly when restoring data.

8. If this is a routine backup, be sure to disable root login as described in technical document 106290. If you are about to erase the hard disk, you may skip this step.

These steps assume that you backed up as described in Section II above. It is additionally assumed that you have just erased the hard disk and reinstalled Mac OS X, or that you have purchased a new computer. In either case, you would start at the Mac OS X Setup Assistant.

Important: When recreating users in Steps 1 and 4 below, be sure that the short names are typed exactly as they were when you made the backup.

1. In the Setup Assistant, create a user account with the same user name and short name that you previously used for your Admin user. If you only had one user (yourself) on the computer, you were the Admin user and may skip to Step 5 after completing the Setup Assistant.

2. After completing the Setup Assistant, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Users from the View menu.

4. For each user that you backed up, create a new user account using the same user name and short name.

5. Log in as the root user. For more help with this step, see technical document 106290: "Mac OS X: About the root User and How to Enable It".

6. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.

7. Choose Go To Folder from the Go menu.

8. Type "/Users/" and click Go.

9. Drag the contents of the Users folder to the Trash.

10. From your backup storage location or disk, drag the contents of the backed-up Users folder into the empty Users folder on the Mac OS X disk.

11. Put away or eject your backup disk.

12. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).

13. Type: chown -R <username> /Users/<username>

Important: In this step and in Step 15 below, you would replace "<username>" with the actual user short name, which should match exactly the name of the user folder. So for a user named Jeanne DuBois with a short name of "jeanne", you would type:

chown -R jeanne /Users/jeanne

14. Press Return.

15. Type: chgrp -R staff /Users/<username>

16. Press Return.

17. Repeat Steps 13 through 16 for each additional user that you created in Steps 2 through 4, if applicable.

18. Quit Terminal.

19. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu.

20. Log back in as your normal Admin user.

21. Be sure that you can access your files. If you cannot access your files, log back in as root and repeat steps 13 through 20.

22. Disable root login as described in technical document 106290.