Airport and PC laptop

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I live in a house with multiple people. We have DSL coming into the house routed through an AIRPORT Snow wireless router for one of the residents who has an Apple laptop. I have a PC laptop with a built in CISCO LAN wireless card. I have no problem receiving signal anywhere I go that has WIFI or wireless internet available.

However, my laptop does not recognize the wireless network in my house. What can I do so that I may use the network? I did install a JAVA program on my laptop that is supposed to communicate with the AIRPORT router (I forget the excact program name), and it did recognize the AIRPORT and the user name of the owner.

So we know that it is possible to recognize the AIRPORT. If ANYONE can please help me configure my laptop to work with the AIRPORT, I would be more than gracious!

I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected] or AIM (HiImEric05)

Thank you,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

I live in a house with multiple people. We have DSL coming into the house routed through an AIRPORT Snow wireless router for one of the residents who has an Apple laptop. I have a PC laptop with a built in CISCO LAN wireless card. I have no problem receiving signal anywhere I go that has WIFI or wireless internet available.

However, my laptop does not recognize the wireless network in my house. What can I do so that I may use the network? I did install a JAVA program on my laptop that is supposed to communicate with the AIRPORT router (I forget the excact program name), and it did recognize the AIRPORT and the user name of the owner.

So we know that it is possible to recognize the AIRPORT. If ANYONE can please help me configure my laptop to work with the AIRPORT, I would be more than gracious!

I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected] or AIM (HiImEric05)

Thank you,

Eric

there is airport software for PCs - rendezvous but it should just connect automatically as it's a standard.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The person with the airport might have it set up to limit access. Have him/her check their setup so you gain access. With no security on you should be able to connect as soon as you are in range.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

The person with the airport might have it set up to limit access. Have him/her check their setup so you gain access. With no security on you should be able to connect as soon as you are in range.

reg

Although, PCs can be bitches I had real problems connecting my Netgear router to my windows box, no problems on the Mac (even though it didn't technically support it)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I would like to thank everyone for their help with the question I had about the wireless network in regards to using a PC and the AIRport. About 5 minutes ago, my friend and I finally figured out how to configure the AIRport and I now have wireless access on the laptop. Thank you to everyone for your help. I never would have figured things out had it not been for the replies posted to my question.

Thank you again for your help.

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

I would like to thank everyone for their help with the question I had about the wireless network in regards to using a PC and the AIRport. About 5 minutes ago, my friend and I finally figured out how to configure the AIRport and I now have wireless access on the laptop. Thank you to everyone for your help. I never would have figured things out had it not been for the replies posted to my question.

Thank you again for your help.

Eric

We like happy endings.