17" Powerbook or imac G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am converting from PC and am trying to decide between a 17" Powerbook (1 gig memory) or a 1.8 iMac (1 gig memory). I like the portability of the powerbook but am wondering how much slower it is in real life to the iMac G5. I mainly use my computer for web browsing, photo manipulation (Photoshop elements 3) and some digital home video editing. I am looking forward to using iLife for the video editing, burning to DVD (8x Superdive versus 4 x in iMac) and for photo storage etc. I realize i will need Elements 3 for Mac and Office for Mac.

I would welcome any real life advice or experience on whether the G4 at 1.67 is practically much slower than a 1.8 G5 in real life.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This page doesn't have the exact comparison you're looking for, but I think it shows generally that the G5 in the iMac is not going to be huge leaps and bounds faster than a similarly-clocked G4 in most situations.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    The portability of the laptops is indeed an advantage, but for everyday use, it is not as easy to use as a conventional computer with a conventional keyboard. I would first ask myself where I was going to use the machine the most and make my decision. I have both a ibook and an imac (G4) and use both but for photoshop and web surfing, I generally will come upstairs to use the imac rather than stay downstairs and use the laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Depending on which part of Maryland you are in, you should stop by one of the Apple stores or resellers and test drive them. The iMac is a bit faster but mobility is more useful, at lest for me. I have a 1 Ghz 17 pb w/1 GB and do everything on it except rendering, I have a dual 2.0 for that. Photoshop (unless it is a really big file), Excel, surfing and email are handled quit nicely on the pb.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I looked at both computers in Apple store but with the software loaded I couldn't really tell much difference. I will get an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Kensington bluetooth 2 button/scroll wheel mouse to use with iMac or Powerbook (and a stand for the Powerbook).

I prefer the mobility of the Powerbook - around the home as well as very occasional travel but if I lost a lot of power - say the rendering speeds of video were much longer or I had to wait for photo editing changes then I will go with the iMac. It's real life usage that matters!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It seems like the main issue would be price - the PowerBook could be as much as twice the cost of the iMac, depending on which model you get. The iMacs are also due for an update in the next few months. I'm personally thinking about an iMac for my office at work, but I'd probably wait for Tiger and an iMac update.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Rick,

I think you would be impressed by the Powerbook. The difference between the 1.67 GHZ G4 Powerbook and 1.8 GHZ iMac G5 is minimal. I would go with the Powerbook. I like portability, and you plan to use an external keyboard & mouse, just like me, so that is great. Furthermore, the Powerbooks give you Firewire 800, gigabit ethernet, fantastic video out options, etc.

You said you're interested in the 17 inch Powerbook, so that is a better video card than the iMac G5 too.

However, what about the price? You'd save money with the iMac.

Also, you're going to upgrade the memory on your own, correct? That will save you money.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ricktrickt Posts: 17member
    I only buy a computer about once every five years and decided long ago that I am better off paying more and getting something I really want rather than compromising and spending the next 5 years regretting my decision - within reason of course.

I would get the 17" because of the screen - I currently have a Sony 19" CRT - which is nice but sooooo big it takes up all my desktop. The other factor (either iMac or Powerbook) is to get a virtually wireless environment - I plan to use a Airport Extreme base station to handle web access and connect to the printer etc. That will satisfy my wife as well who has an aversion to "wires everywhere"!

Is it much cheaper to get additional RAM for third parties rather than get it built in from Apple?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Depending on your upgrade, it can be much cheaper to buy RAM elsewhere, but it does depend on what you're interested in.

For example:

To up the the 17" powerbook to 1 gig is $150. At crucial.com, the same upgrade is $95. But, if you need someone else to install it, it would be easier to just buy it from Apple.

For the iMac you could buy two 512mb sticks from crucial.com for $75 each, a total of $150, or Apple would charge you $75 to go to 512, and $225 to go to a gig.

In short, on the powerbook it would cost $50, but the iMac's ram would cost you $75 extra. But, it is nice to have your ram covered by applecare. Generally though 3rd party ram from reputable sources is quite good.