Intel Innovating... Where is Apple?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www20.tomshardware.com/mobile...alviso-06.html

Intel has added pc-express cards (PCI-Express) bus to their laptops through a multiple format PC card slot taking regular pc cards as well as the new pc-express...

Most wintel laptops have dual layer burners, while my powerbook can't even BTO for one.

Grr. Probably apple saving "dual layer" (boohoo) for the new feature set of the g5 laptop. Great dual layer will come out only about year after windows laptops have had it.

Even 3rd party mac manactures offer it...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    PCI EX in a laptop? isn't that a little... insane?

Any card that would require PCI-Ex would probably melt the hell out of any laptop.

My brother's 5950 (AGP 8x) required two 80MM fans to be added to the case.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    solution searching for a problem.

Where is the "pain point" for laptop users needing PCI Express? While I believe in the technology and it's eventual usefullness however I won't lose sleep over it right now. I think portables need better battery life and higher performance.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Actually,

By the time the Powerbook G5 comes out, they might be equipped with new Blu-Ray (high definition dvd) burners.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:

Due to the high bandwidth that a PCIe-x1 lane offers, HDTV or Dual-TV tuner solutions for notebooks, for example, will be possible. Because the Express Card communicates directly with the chipset via PCIe, no expensive bridge chips are required. Consequently, Express Card solutions should in theory be not only faster but less expensive than corresponding CardBus products.

I'm sure their are just legions of users who are extrememly frustrated that they cannot view HDTV or have Dual Tuners in their laptops. Those poor souls that have to go with external options <Gasp>

Quote:

Grr. Probably apple saving "dual layer" (boohoo) for the new feature set of the g5 laptop. Great dual layer will come out only about year after windows laptops have had it.

Somebody please explain the big deal about Dual Layer drives to me. Since I'm having such a hard time understanding its importance currently. Here's why.

1. Cost- recording two DVD-5s cost you less than $2. Recording one DL disc costs you what 3x that?

2. Speed- With DVD-5 I can burn 16x DVDs. With DL I'm stuck with 2.4x on the avg.

3. Compatibility- DL discs aren't even close to DVD-R for compatibility with home players.

Thus I fail to see the where the "benefits" of DL overcome the the detriments. DL capability has become the new product DuJour that geeks like to whine about. Sure the longer recording times are nice but how many freaking people are making 2hr home brew movies(No easy feat) and the pirates are stripping DVD-9s down to the bare essentials and squeezing them on DVD-5.

• Reply 5 of 46
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    AFAIK, Intel makes no laptops at all. Or are you saying that Apple should innovate more than the rest of the entire computer industry combined?

PC laptops stink. Did you know they have a "mini PC card" now, so that you can have a wireless card hidden under one of those doors on the bottom instead of in a PCMCIA slot? Yech. The bottom of an Apple laptop is mostly smooth; the bottom of a PC laptop is a mess of little screw doors and odd contusions.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    It's obvious intel doesn't make laptops, however the PC laptops stink is a very broad statement. And NO PCI-X isn't overkill, at least the PC my coworker has on his desk offers it. (BTW the bottom of his notebook is completely smooth except for battery lights). I want options. Don't tell me it's too hot, or that's "Crazy Insane" because thats' what apple has always been good at, putting advanced products and pushing technology forward. As for the post about "why would i need a dual layer burner?" your just being stupid. You don't need it, that doesn't mean it's a stupid idea. How about 8gb on one freaking disc? Instead of two discs? How about when I burn video back? (rather than 2 dvd disc with imovie why not one?) Why punish me, or not even offer it? Why call it a "super-drive" when it has less features than dvd dual layer burner available on my coworkers windows laptop? For a company that values itself in innovation I don't think I should feel punished by apple. It just feels really cruel that I spend $3,200 on a powerbook and my coworker spend $1,700 has faster video, better drive options, waaaay faster computer, and pretty damn decent battery life.

Apple needs to innovate because the laptop offerings are barely impressive. Just beautiful, but why can't they be beautiful and BLOW my socks off? Am I wrong? EVEN BTO option would be okay.

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

AFAIK, Intel makes no laptops at all. Or are you saying that Apple should innovate more than the rest of the entire computer industry combined?

PC laptops stink. Did you know they have a "mini PC card" now, so that you can have a wireless card hidden under one of those doors on the bottom instead of in a PCMCIA slot? Yech. The bottom of an Apple laptop is mostly smooth; the bottom of a PC laptop is a mess of little screw doors and odd contusions.

• Reply 7 of 46
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm sure their are just legions of users who are extrememly frustrated that they cannot view HDTV or have Dual Tuners in their laptops. Those poor souls that have to go with external options <Gasp>

Somebody please explain the big deal about Dual Layer drives to me. Since I'm having such a hard time understanding its importance currently. Here's why.

1. Cost- recording two DVD-5s cost you less than $2. Recording one DL disc costs you what 3x that?

You pay to much

2. Speed- With DVD-5 I can burn 16x DVDs. With DL I'm stuck with 2.4x on the avg.

I can burn at 4x with my pioneer. Also dual layer discs close the session in a faster amount of time and don't have to write close something (can't remember) so 16x isn't really quite that much faster than you think.

3. Compatibility- DL discs aren't even close to DVD-R for compatibility with home players.

If you have any home player over $60 in the last year it reads them ALL. They all read dual layer discs especially burnt ones. Most of them even read DVD+R, *hit my $70 panasonic player from last year will read anything you put in it.

Thus I fail to see the where the "benefits" of DL overcome the the detriments. DL capability has become the new product DuJour that geeks like to whine about. Sure the longer recording times are nice but how many freaking people are making 2hr home brew movies(No easy feat) and the pirates are stripping DVD-9s down to the bare essentials and squeezing them on DVD-5.

• Reply 8 of 46
    You're right.

Apple freakin sucks!
  • Reply 9 of 46
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

You're right.

Apple freakin sucks!

Well, you sure won that argument!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    I had no rebuttal.

truth be told Apple just doesn't "hustle" enough because they are the sole proprietors. When the had cloning they routinely got out hustled and Jobs wisely killed cloning.

Apple is still the same lackadaisical company. They make cool stuff but you do have to wait for it.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Don't tell me it's too hot, or that's "Crazy Insane" because thats' what apple has always been good at, putting advanced products and pushing technology forward.

Nope. Apple used to push the technology every which way, and almost died. Then they learned.

It isn't about pushing every available technology out there as soon as possible. It's about pushing technology that *solves problems*.

USB? Hotswap (ADB didn't), decent speed, standard

FireWire? Hotswap (SCSI didn't), plug and play (SCSI wasn't), fast fast fast, provided as standard

WiFi? Do I really have to point this one out?

Notice how the iPod doesn't have every whizbang feature, but still has 70% market share. Why? Because it pushed the envelope only to solve problems, it didn't toss things on there just to have them on there.

This is the difference that PC boxen makers and many PC weenies don't get, and likely never will. Good design isn't about slapping on widgets, it's about stripping away the crap to leave the good stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Just to nitpick, PCI-X is not the same as PCI-Express, you know that right? Ok, assuming that, PCI-Express cards are generally pretty hot and consume a lot of power. Sure a "desktop replacement" Wintel laptop may have it, but try and find a true portable that does. You won't because battery life is probably 1-2 hours and the temperature of the thing would get too hot for you to hold in your lap. These are not excuses, they are fact. The fact is that Apple will never release a gorilla laptop for the sake of pushing the "in-thing". By the way, why do you think they are in? That's right, very, very small profit margin on PCs, so companies like Dell and HP release these monsters, that have a higher profit margin to keep their chins above water. It's not hard to understand.

Do these things offer me something over an Apple laptop? Sure, weight, heat, some increases in speed, viruses, spyware, critical-update-hell. Is it worth it?

My answer would be, hell no. But your milage may vary.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Exactly.

Even if the card produced no heat whatsoever, the shear number of electrons traveling over the PCI-express bus would drain the battery at least twice as fast.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Exactly.

Even if the card produced no heat whatsoever, the shear number of electrons traveling over the PCI-express bus would drain the battery at least twice as fast.

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy is neither created or destroyed. It is converted from one form to another. Unless the energy of motion of those electrons is converted into heat, light, RF radiation, rotational energy of a hard drive, or some other form, the battery will not drain. The motion of electrons in and of itself requires the consumption of no power. The simpliest way for electrons to consume power is for them to pass through a resistance, which generates heat.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy is neither created or destroyed. It is converted from one form to another. Unless the energy of motion of those electrons is converted into heat, light, RF radiation, rotational energy of a hard drive, or some other form, the battery will not drain. The motion of electrons in and of itself requires the consumption of no power. The simpliest way for electrons to consume power is for them to pass through a resistance, which generates heat.

And Lord, there is a crapload of a resistance in the PCI-Express cards!

To ignore that fact creates these monster lapanchors, er, desktop replacements, er laptops. Sure, I'd buy one. Not bloody likely!

Give me smooth running, thin, light with good battery life any day. You can have all the PCI-Express, blah blah blah monsters you want. For a true portable user, it just will not do.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Well now hold on just one minute. Just because no one here can see the benefit to a mobile PCI-Express doesn't mean that it requires the users to wake up before Apple does.

As one example, that Sony HDV camera shown onstage at the recent Macworld has a little secret that could benefit greatly from an Express Powerbook. It records high-def onto mini-DV tape, which any ibook could handle easily. But unknown to most users so far, the component out to the monitor is uncompressed high def, the same signal as extremely high end equipment.

The only problem is, only a powerful desktop could capture such bandwidth, or an expensive HD recording deck. But a Powerbook with pci express would also be able to capture it, and Apple would own that developing prosumer market.

Anyhow, doesn't PCI Express have very good heat/performance ratio compared to other Cardbus tech? Maybe this was in comparison to the AGP bus.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

Well now hold on just one minute. Just because no one here can see the benefit to a mobile PCI-Express doesn't mean that it requires the users to wake up before Apple does.

As one example, that Sony HDV camera shown onstage at the recent Macworld has a little secret that could benefit greatly from an Express Powerbook. It records high-def onto mini-DV tape, which any ibook could handle easily. But unknown to most users so far, the component out to the monitor is uncompressed high def, the same signal as extremely high end equipment.

The only problem is, only a powerful desktop could capture such bandwidth, or an expensive HD recording deck. But a Powerbook with pci express would also be able to capture it, and Apple would own that developing prosumer market.

Anyhow, doesn't PCI Express have very good heat/performance ratio compared to other Cardbus tech? Maybe this was in comparison to the AGP bus.

How many laptop disk drives do you know that can capture uncompressed HD? For that matter, desktop disk drives? Every HD editing station, etc. I have ever seen that could handle uncompressed HD required large disk arrays, fiber channel connects, etc. PCIe on a laptop ain't gonna solve that. The other posters are right, at this point, PCIe on a laptop (or on a desktop, for that matter, unless you're doing SLI) is a solution looking for a problem.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

http://www20.tomshardware.com/mobile...alviso-06.html

Intel has added pc-express cards (PCI-Express) bus to their laptops through a multiple format PC card slot taking regular pc cards as well as the new pc-express...

Most wintel laptops have dual layer burners, while my powerbook can't even BTO for one.

Even 3rd party mac manactures offer it...

You forgot perhaps the most important:

Dual-core Pentium 4s coming in second quarter.

But it is not fair to make comparisons of the type Intel vs. Apple. Intel is a (giant) chip manufacturer, Apple is not and use whatever IBM and Freescale manage to produce.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

What if the electron leaves one battery terminal, goes through a circuit, and comes back to the other terminal? Isn't that one less electron that will leave that battery on that charge cycle?

Argue yer physics all day, batteries are chemistry
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:

You pay to much

I can burn at 4x with my pioneer. Also dual layer discs close the session in a faster amount of time and don't have to write close something (can't remember) so 16x isn't really quite that much faster than you think.

If you have any home player over $60 in the last year it reads them ALL. They all read dual layer discs especially burnt ones. Most of them even read DVD+R, *hit my $70 panasonic player from last year will read anything you put in it.