iTrip for iPod mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

im considering getting some form of iPod. The Shuffle looks good but i don't like the fact that it has no screen to display the song details on. Now im looking at getting an iPod mini or a second hand iPod.

I have almost 10GB of mp3s, but i wouldn't need them all with me all the time, im quite happy to simply choose different songs each day, etc. And im after something that is small and nimble, which is wher the Mini is better (it's about half the weight of the iPod).

The one last thing im interested in is playing my mp3s through my stereo, or car stereo and so i want to know if anyone knows of an iTrip for the iPod Mini??

Well that's all for now

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Griffin Technology makes an iTrip specifically for the iPod mini ; they have for awhile, even!

That said, if you have an auxiliary-in jack or cassette player on your car or home stereo, it's better to use that if you have the option - simply because it's a direct wired connection and will use less power.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    actually i think i do have an aux connection on my home stereo... how do i connect a iPod Mini to it though? i might go have a closer look at my stereo... thanks

also, have there been any upgrades, or newer versions of the iPod Mini, or are they all identical, except for the colour??

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    looking at my stereo, it seems all i need is some kind of connecting cable that has a headphone plug at one end and two of those little plugs that you find on PS2 cables (i don't know their names though...)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm guessing you want a 1/8" Miniplug -> RCA adapter. Those are everywhere, if you know what to call them.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yeah- I'd get the optional dock if you're planning on hooking it up to the stereo.

The doc has a line-out on the back, which is better quality than just using the headphone port. Plus you iPod will be on display for all to see.

The dock is much more convenient for syncing too. Just drop the iPod mini in and thats it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I use an iTrip mini with my iPod mini. Here's the good and the bad:

The signal is fairly weak. In my 92 Explorer, I have to place it on my dashboard in a dock to ensure a consistent, quality signal. If I put it in a drink holder or put it in my lap, sometimes there is interference and other problems.

Also, the signal itself is not that loud. I have to crank my stereo up extra loud.

Once I found the sweet spot in my car, I've had few problems. Overall, I'm a little disappointed. But now that its working and working well, I can't complain too much.

Also, in the Bay Area, finding a station was tricky. We have way to many real stations that conflict.

One other note: You change the iTrip station by playing these special MP3s that use sound to control the iTrip. That's cool 'cuz there's no clunky buttons and I can pick between many a station. The downside is that if I have the mini on shuffle, it could randomly play one of these files and switch the iTrips settings!

I think belkin (or someone else) makes one that is slightly less wide so that you have access to the iPod's hold switch. It is controlled through face-mounted buttons but still uses the iPod's power supply. I think I'd go for this model if I had to do it again. I havn't really used it though, so I dunno if its better/worse.

One last thing about the iTrip is that it really eats my battery. I definitely can tell the difference in total battery life when I use the iTrip.