my iMac keeps spitting out some CDs!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all,

im on a new G5 iMac running OS 10.3.8 and i've discovered that with two cetain CDs of mine that i can't rip them into MP3s. The Cds are both official CDs (not pirated) and one of them comes from a set of two - and i've managed to rip the other CD in its set into mp3s.

i first noticed this problem last night and just presumed the CD drive was overheated or something (as i had been ripping CDS for a few hours), but this morning i've noticed it's still occuring... can anyone help me?

By the way, one of the CDs contains a screensaver and other extra crap, but i don't think this is the cause of my problem...

well thanks for your time everyone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I've had this happen with a few audio CDs, from what I've read it's a new anti-piracy tactic, where they purposefully corrupt some data on the disc so computer CD-ROM drives have trouble reading it. It's stupid and irritating, because even though I buy music legitimately I had to go online and pirate all the songs so I could get them on my iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    but one of these CDs is disc 2 of a set of two, and i've already ripped the first one.. surely if that were the case then they would put it on both CDs

also... the other CD is a Gorillaz album. i bought it in 2000 and it contains a Scrensaver and that. What is the point of having a screensaver if a computer can't even access the disk?? (I've got the CD to play on an older Mac too)

any more suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

but one of these CDs is disc 2 of a set of two, and i've already ripped the first one.. surely if that were the case then they would put it on both CDs

also... the other CD is a Gorillaz album. i bought it in 2000 and it contains a Scrensaver and that. What is the point of having a screensaver if a computer can't even access the disk?? (I've got the CD to play on an older Mac too)

any more suggestions?

If that one CD is the only problem, try cleaning it, sounds odd, but I have had the same problem with CDs before. To wash a CD, I run it under cold water and then tap or pat it dry with a soft lint free cloth.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE CD IS DRY BEFORE INSERTING IT INTO THE COMPUTER

Or maybe the iMac hates your taste in music
  • Reply 4 of 7
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I have the same problem with my Soul Coughing El Oso CD. I ended up taking it to a PC, copying the disc to a CD-R and then ripping the CD-R on my Mac. There were a few small scratches, so I think that's it.

The other thing is that my Powerbook hates DVDs that use a gold layer. Which made installing iWork '05 a pain.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well i've cleaned my CD and there's no scratches... it's in MINT CONDITION! im pretty annoyed about it all really

that's pretty dodgy about not being able to install iLife 05 on your Powerbook
  • Reply 6 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Tell it the next time it spits you'll wash it's mouth out with soap, works for my kids.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Well i've cleaned my CD and there's no scratches... it's in MINT CONDITION! im pretty annoyed about it all really

that's pretty dodgy about not being able to install iLife 05 on your Powerbook

Same thing happened here I had to do a network install from my PC. The disk was brand new just opened.