iBook novice

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Tomorrow i am getting a 12' iBook. I am really looking forward to it as i've only used windows before which have too many problems to list here. So I have a few easy questions to ask because i know hardly anything.

1.Can you use windows-compatible broadband on macs?

2.Can you surf all the windows- friendly websites on macs?

3.What happens if someone sends me a WMA file on MSN Messenger?

4.What is used instead of Windows media player for Video Playing? (iMovie HD perhaps?)

5.Are there equivalents for the main applications e.g.My Computer, Recycle Bin, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures etc...

6.What happens when the right-hand key is normally used?

7.Is there a scrolling facility on iBooks?

8.Can I transfer my music library from windows iTunes to Mac iTunes through a USB?

9.Is the 1.2 GHz processor as slow as it sounds?

10. Is there a good equivalent to Microsoft Word?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some good answers.

Thanks

af

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anfields_finest

1.Can you use windows-compatible broadband on macs?

I believe so. I've never run into a problem. If the broadband provider has an ethernet port, you are fine. You can also use stuff like Airport Express (highly recommended with iBook for stream digital music to stereo) to broadcast wireless in your house.

2.Can you surf all the windows- friendly websites on macs?

I don't know about *all* but I rarely come across a website that doesn't work. You can download Firefox for your iBook if you want. Between using Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer on your iBook, you have 3 different web browsers. If a website works in none of them, then it is pretty bad.

3.What happens if someone sends me a WMA file on MSN Messenger?

You can play this with Windows Media Player on your iBook. This is a free download from Microsoft. There are some files that it won't play if the codec is not available. You can also try open source players like VLC (video-lan client).

4.What is used instead of Windows media player for Video Playing? (iMovie HD perhaps?)

You can use Quicktime Player. There are lots of free players that use quicktime for playback. Search http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx or http://www.macupdate.com for good players. Reading the reviews on different ones might give insight on which to choose.

5.Are there equivalents for the main applications e.g.My Computer, Recycle Bin, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures etc...

Win XP:

c\Documents and Settings\\username\\Desktop

c\Documents and Settings\\username\\My Documents

c\Documents and Settings\\username\\My Documents\\My Pictures

c\Documents and Settings\\username\\My Documents\\My Videos

c\Documents and Settings\\username\\My Documents\\My Music

Recycle Bin sitting on desktop

Mac OSX:

/Users/username/Desktop

/Users/username/Documents

/Users/username/Pictures

/Users/username/Movies

/Users/username/Music

Trash Can sitting in Dock

6.What happens when the right-hand key is normally used?

Do you mean clicking with the right mouse button? If so, this is done by holding control and clicking with the trackpad button on the iBook. You can also connect any USB mouse with more buttons and they will work. They will also work better if you install drivers from the company (Kensington MouseWare, Logitech MouseWorks, etc.)

7.Is there a scrolling facility on iBooks?

Yes. Mice with scroll wheels attached will allow the scroll wheel to scroll. You can also scroll by using the scrollbar on the windows. Or you can get the trackpad to scroll by installing a third party trackpad driver like http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

8.Can I transfer my music library from windows iTunes to Mac iTunes through a USB?

Yes. You can use file sharing to copy your music (and other data) to your iBook. In the iBook System Preference (found under the Apple menu in the top left hand corner), select the "Sharing" tab and click on "Windows File Sharing". Then you can browse to your iBook under "My Network" on the PC and copy files to your iBook.

9.Is the 1.2 GHz processor as slow as it sounds?

My 600MHz iBook seems fairly fast still. I find it outpaces my 3Ghz Win XP box at some things. Speed is more relative to software. My 1Mhz Apple ][ was fast at the software it ran...

10. Is there a good equivalent to Microsoft Word?

You can purchase Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac OS X.